Account of the death of the Persian Prince, of the recapture of Candahar, and of the King’s journey to Kabul. A. H. 952.—A. D. 1545.

After the division of the horses, the King was making preparation to march towards Kabul, when private information was brought to him that the young Persian Prince* had died in Candahar. He immediately called a council of his chiefs, when it was resolved to endeavour to recover that fortress. The King asked how it could possibly be done? Hajy Muhammed Khan Kuky replied, “leave the business to me, and I will engage to do it.” The King having agreed, gave him his blessing. The Hajy then marched with a select body of troops at midnight; and having arrived at Candahar, just as they were opening the gates of the town in the morning, took the Persians by surprise and entered the place; but the general, Bedagh Khan, took refuge in the citadel.

When the King arrived within a few miles of Candahar he was met by a servant of Hajy Muhammed, who informed him of his master’s success, and congratulated his Majesty on the cap­ture of the town. On entering the city the King took up his residence in the Akshai bastion, and sent a message to the Persian general, asking him why he had endeavoured to conceal the death of the young prince; that his father had given the boy to him; that he considered the boy as his own son, and had he been informed, should immediately have come to perform the funeral ceremonies: he added, “I will not allow you to go out of the gate, nor will I permit you to visit me, as I fear my Moghuls may injure you; but you may go away unmolested on my part.” In consequence of this hint, Bedagh Khan, during the night, had part of the wall at the back of the fort thrown down, and marched quietly off.

The King then divided the district of Candahar among his principal officers; but as the Persians had collected the revenues for the Rubby or spring quarter, he permitted them to take only the remain­ing three quarters, with which they were satisfied.

After this he sent the Begum with all her attendants into the fort, which he left under charge of Byram Khãn, and then proceeded towards Kabul.

During the course of the journey to Kabul, his Majesty received letters from several of the chiefs of Kamran Myrza, expressing their loyalty, and encouraging him to proceed. When we reached the town of Tyry, which is situated in the Hezareh mountains, and was the Jagyr of Aleg Myrza, the Prince Hindal and Terdy Beg came and paid their respects to his Majesty.

At this place information was brought that the Prince Kamran had marched from Kabul, and had taken possession of the passes: on hearing this, the King ordered the troops to put on their armour, and proceeded towards Kabul. It was shortly after reported that Casim Berlas, the Prince’s general, had advanced as far as the pass of the Ass (Hemar) with the intention of giving battle; on which his Majesty ordered Hajy Muhammed to advance with a considerable force and disperse the rebels. The royal troops having reached the aforesaid pass, attacked the rebels with such vigour, that they in a short time took to flight, and, by the blessing of God, his Majesty obtained a complete victory. The King then advanced to the pass, and was congratulated by all the officers on his success.

About this time several of the chiefs interceded with his Majesty to pardon the Prince Kamran: the King replied, “let us go on, and see how matters are likely to end; I will then decide:” he then ordered the drum of march to be beaten, and proceeded on his journey. During this time Allah Kuly waited on his Majesty, and, in tears, represented that his father, Hyder Sultan, had been called to the Divine mercy. On hearing this the King embraced him, and said, “Please God, I will in future be your father, and will take care of you; be not afflicted, but act as a man.” With this con­solation the young man returned home. The King then continued his march to Khoujeh Bastan, which was three coss beyond the place where the battle had occurred.

At this place he was met by two holy men, who said they were come to make peace between the King and his brother. On hearing this his Majesty alighted, and embraced them in the most affectionate manner; he afterwards joined them in the morning prayers, and then civilly dismissed them. On departing, they said, “we are most anxious to effect a peace; if the Prince Kamran will attend to our advice, we will return by mid-day; but if we do not return, your Majesty will act as you think proper.” The holy men could not prevail on the Prince to submit, and therefore returned to Kabul; so that when the prescribed time had elapsed without their appearance, his Majesty ordered Rosheng, the keeper of the wardrobe, to go with the following message to his brother, “We are travellers, you are resident; if you will wait on us, it will be according to rule; but if not, we will come to you.” Rosheng was graciously received by the Prince, and delivered the message word for word; but as the Myrzã was then performing his ablutions, he merely said, “that he was coming.”

Rosheng however discovered that the followers of Kamran were in a very perturbed state, and that many of them were making their escape to Kabul; he, therefore, came away without waiting to take leave, and reported all he had seen to his Majesty. On hearing these circumstances, the King ordered a body of seven hundred lancers, under the com­mand of the Prince Hindal, to advance; and seizing a spear in his own hand, rode on in the midst of them. After a short time he was met by a deputa­tion of Kamran’s chiefs, who came to beg forgive­ness, and offer their services.