Account of 'Amr b. 'Alá in ´Amul.

Abu`l-Khuḍayb chose as his guide a certain 'Amr (? 'Umar) b. 'Alá, who had, on account of a murder which he had committed in Gurgán, taken refuge with the Ispahbad, under whose protection he had lived for a long while, during which time he had obtained full knowledge of the country, and of all its roads, fords and passes. But now he had joined himself to the Caliph’s troops, and was sent with 2000 horsemen to attack ´Amul (f. 87a). The Marzubán of this city, who held his office from the Ispahbad, came out to meet him in battle; but he was slain, and ´Amul was occupied by 'Umar b. 'Alá, who proclaimed a just adminis­tration to all the inhabitants, and invited them to embrace Islám. And the people, being, as already said, disgusted with the Ispahbad’s arrogance, came in in crowds, embraced Islám, and surrendered up their arms and possessions. Shortly after this, news of the death of 'Abdu`l-Jabbár arrived, and the invaders, being no longer anxious about Khurásán, settled down in Ṭabaristán.

Now on the top of Darband-i-Kúla near the road to Áram there is a palace (<Arabic>), now known as '´A`isha Kar­gílí Dizh, where ten years’ supply of water was stored up in reservoirs, with corn, bread, and other provisions, and which could be approached only by one gate of solid stone which it required 500 men to open and 500 men to shut; and when it was shut, no one could detect its position. There the Ispahbad Khurshíd placed his wives, children, nobles, and other dependents, while he himself, with his retainers and a few loads of gold, sent out for Daylam by way of Láriján to obtain reinforcements.

The Muslim army, on learning his movements, set out in pursuit, but he reached Rúyán with the loss of only a few men and animals, and thence pushed on to Daylam, where he remained for two years and seven months, while the Muslims besieged his stronghold, until he had gathered together 50,000 men of Gíl and Daylam. But the plague attacked his stronghold, and in one day 400 persons died, and such was the stench of their bodies that the garrison were obliged to capitulate to the Muslims, who spent seven days in bringing the stores and treasures out of the Castle. Then they prepared to send the women, with all respect and honour, to the Caliph. The Muslim general desired ´Azarmí-Dukht and Ramja Harúya to surrender themselves to him, but they both refused. Of Khurshíd’s daughters, who were as beautiful as the moon, he gave one to 'Abbás b. Muḥammad al-Háshimí, who named her Amatu`r-Raḥmán (“the Hand-maiden of the All-Merciful”), while another the Caliph himself took. All of them urged the Caliph to give the kingdom of Ṭabaristán to their father, and to this the Caliph consented, and despatched a messenger with orders to this effect, but he got no further than Ḥulwán, for the Ispahbad Khurshíd, filled with despair at the disaster which had befallen him, and unable to bear the disgrace, took poison and died. With him ended the line of Jílánsháh, which had reigned in Ṭabaristán for 119 years.