§ 58. Mutinous artillery officers cheated.

When the Emperor was marching from Satara towards Fort Parli, the pay of the followers [ahsham] and men of the artillery was fourteen months in arrear, owing to the delay in the arrival of the revenue of Bengal. All the four trusted hazaris (nominal commanders of one thousand) told the Emperor on the way, “Our followers no longer listen to our words. They want to make an outbreak against Tarbiyat Khan, the chief of the artillery (Mir Atish).” His Majesty ordered, “Give them half their due salary from the public treasury inside the harem. For the rest give an assignment on the revenue of Chicacole in the province of Haidarabad, that they may fetch the money thence. Let the prime-minister write a permit to the diwan of Haidarabad and send bailiffs (sazawals) with the artillerymen.” Man Singh and Chaturbhuj, both of them hazaris, did not agree to it, dragged Tarbiyat Khan out of his palki during the journey, and made him sit down in the midst of the rain. Yar Ali Beg, the superintendent of the spies (harkarah), reported the matter to His Majesty, who immediately ordered the superintendent of the treasury of the harem to pay up their salary in full. They kept the chief of the artillery sitting in this manner in the rain till evening. After they had got their pay, they mounted him [in his palki] and brought him to his quarters.

Next morning the Emperor gave robes of honour to each of the four hazaris and said, “You have been brought to this [misery] through the wickedness of the chief of the artillery.” Tarbiyat Khan's rank was reduced by five hundred, and his jagir was decreased to the same extent. After one week he ordered those two hazaris to go to Chicacole and draw in advance six months' salary for their comrades. With his own hand he wrote a farman to Jan-nasir Khan, the governor [of Haidarabad], ordering him to divide the amount into instalments, and every day pay the instalment due. The news reached the other two hazaris who were with the Emperor, and their minds were composed. Then His Majesty ordered that the latter two officers should go to Aurangabad and take from the treasury of that place six months' advance pay for their followers; and an order was sent to Mamur Khan, the governor of that province, to pay the money by instalments.

After ten days His Majesty ordered that the two hazaris who had started first should be confined in the fort of Haidarabad and all the money paid to them, formerly and now, should be taken back! A similar order was also sent to the governor of Aurangabad, viz., that he should confine (the two men) in the fort of Daulatabad and recover their former and present salaries.

Text.—Ir. MS. 23b & 24a.

Notes.—Satara capitulated to Aurangzib on 21st April, 1700, and he marched from it to Parli in three days (28th to 30th April). Mir Muhammad Khalil, (eldest son of Darab Khan of the Mukhtar tribe), was created Tarbiyat Khan and Mir Atish about 1698; (M. U. i. 498—503), died in the battle of Jajau, 1707.