The Emperor, on hearing of the disturbances in Gujarát, determined to proceed to that quarter, with all possible expedition: and, as the shortness of the time would not allow of much preparation for the journey, he opened the doors of the treasury, to distribute as presents large sums of money among his attendants. He also issued a mandate that the chiefs of Málwa should expeditiously enter Gujarát; after which he himself set out, for that quarter,

24th July,
A.D. 1573.

on Sunday the 24th* of Rabí-ul-awal, in the year of the Hijra 981, A.D. 1573, being accompanied by a few faithful and select attendants, who were mounted on swift camels, or fleet horses.

On Monday the 25th, he arrived at Húns; and, proceeding by Moizzábád, pitched his tents at Ajmír, on the following Tuesday, when he visited the tomb of Moayyanu-d-dín Chístí. On Wednesday he was at Mírthá; from whence he went forward the same night; and, after halting to rest a little at Sojat, arrived, the following morning, in the neighbourhood of Banháriah, which is a dependancy of Jalore. Early on the morning of Friday, he reached Jalore; and, having halted there to the middle of the follow­ing night, he proceeded on a fleet steed, till he displayed his banners at the town of Dísa, on the following Monday. Here Sháh Ali Lingá, who was in authority at Patan, on the part of Khán Kilán, paid his respects to the Emperor. His Highness, having resolved not to go to Patan, ordered Khoájah Ghiásu-d-dín to join him, with the troops from thence; and, after leaving this place, arrived at the town of Bálí­sánah about noon, where the troops encamped. Here Khán Kilán, Wazír Khán, and Sháh Fakhru-d-dín, with the troops previously sent to prevent disturbances, then openly manifested, came and paid their respects, they having halted at Patan, on account of the dangers on the road.

The troops were now furnished with every thing they required. The Emperor, accom­panied by a guard of a hundred horsemen, left this place on the evening of the same day, after sending a messenger to Ahmadábád, in order to tell the besieged that, as he was near at hand, they might prepare for war, and join him on his arrival. He continued to proceed on horse­back at a quick pace, and arrived, a little after daybreak of Tuesday, at the town of Chotánáh, which is a dependancy of Karri. A party of the enemy, stationed there under the command of Auliá Khán, a follower of Shír Khán Faoládí, thinking that the imperial troops were those of Khán Kilán from Patan, came out and pre­pared for battle; but the former, having been ordered out against them, killed many; though the remainder, who fled, took shelter in the fort. The army was anxious to take the place; but the Emperor, who came up at this time, told them that he had not exerted himself, and taken all this trouble, in order to capture so insig­nificant a fortification, since he had come to punish the rebels of Gujarát, and that, after such had been accomplished, this fort would be captured without any difficulty. The troops were therefore ordered to quit the place, and continue to advance.

On Wednesday, when he had come to within three koss of Ahmadábád, he sent forward Asif Khán, in order to tell Khán Azíz Koká the glad tidings of his approach, and that he should be prepared accordingly. As the army now approached the enemy, he put on his armour, and mounted a white charger; at which time Rájá Bhagwándás came up, and congratulated him on the conquest of Gujarát, saying that he had observed three signs of his being victorious— 1st, that the Emperor should be mounted on horseback at such a time—2nd, that the wind should be blowing from the rear of the troops, and wafting their inclinations against the faces of the enemy—3rd, that crowds of crows and kites continued to follow him.

The Emperor was pleased at these remarks; and, having thus terminated his march, in the space of nine days, prepared for battle, on Wednesday, the 5th of Jumádá-s-sání. As he approached the enemy, and saw no appearance of the Gujarát troops under Khán Azíz Koká join­ing him, he ordered the war-drum to be beaten. The enemy, proud of their numbers, amounting to more than twenty thousand persons, had closely invested the place, and were looking for Shír Khán Faoládí joining them. They were now, however, distressed by the arrival of the imperial troops, who were, at this time, ordered to cross the river in the order of formation they were then in. When the nobles beheld the numbers of the Gujarát army, they hesitated to advance. At this time, six hundred of the enemy's horsemen, having retired from Sirkej, came into view of the imperial musketmen, such as Sálbáhan, Kaddam Kúli, and Ranjít, who were ordered by the Emperor to direct a fire against them. The enemy, not able to make a stand, hastened to take shelter behind their intrenchments.