The Emperor's army encamped before Súrat

19th January,
A.D. 1573.

on Monday, the 17th of Ramazán, in the above year; and the besieged, vainly trust­ing to the abundance of their provisions, exerted themselves in defence of the place. Among the events which happened at this time, we may mention the capture of the Mírzá's elephants and baggage; which was effected in the follow­ing manner. These unhappy men, during the period of confusion, when they had separated, sent several elephants with their effects to Ráná Rám Deo, the Zamíndár of that part of the country, in order that he might take care of them; when the whole consequently fell into the hands of some camp followers, who had gone out on a plundering expedition. These men, who brought the whole to the Emperor, were all rewarded.

The other event which happened at this time was that of the nobles being sent to Agra; and of which the circumstances are these. Ibrahím Husain Mírzá, after his late defeat, joined Mohammed Husain Mírzá and Sháh Mírzá at Patan; but, as a dispute among the brothers hap­pened there, at which Ibrahím Husain Mírzá was annoyed, he formed the resolution of under­taking an expedition against Agra. The Emperor, on learning his intentions, appointed Sayyid Mohammed Khán Barhá, Sháh Kúlí Khán Muharram, and Rájá Bhagwándas, to pursue and seize him; but the Mírzá soon after met his end in the vicinity of Multán.

The other two Mírzás now strengthened their connexion with the Faoládís, and went to Patan, where Sayyid Ahmad Khán exerted himself to maintain the imperial interest. Khán Azíz Koká, on learning this state of affairs, began to collect an army; when, by great good luck, Kutbu-d-dín Mohammed Khán, Súbahdár of Málwa, with the Zamíndárs from that quarter, joined Khán Azíz Koká, as did also Shaikh Mohammed Bokhárí, who was on his way from Dholka to join the Emperor.

Khán Azíz Koká now marched to Patan, where a battle took place between the two sides; in which the enemy's right, by advancing sharply against the imperial left, drove back several of Kutbu-d-dín Mohammed Khán's men. The Khán, with a select few, after most brave exer­tions and a severe contest, repulsed this attack of the Mírzás; who betook themselves to flight, and went towards the Dekhan, whilst Shír Khán Faoládí fled to Júnagarh. Khán Azíz Koká and the others resolved to pursue them; but, when the Emperor received the glad tidings of this fresh victory, he issued an order that Khán Azíz Koká should repair to court, while Kutbu-d-dín Mohammed Khán, Sháh Búdagh Khán, Murad Khán, and others, followed the Mírzás. Wherefore, Khán Azíz Koká obeyed the order; and, meeting the Emperor on the

21st February,
A.D. 1573.

20th of Shawál, received many marks of the imperial favour.

At this time, the besieged, in the fort of Súrat, wishing to save themselves, were endeavouring to effect a union with the Portuguese at Goa, and had written to say that, if they came quickly to their assistance, they would give them up the fort. The Portuguese, under the pretence of an embassy, sent agents to Súrat, with rarities and valuables of their own coun­try; who were instructed to get possession of the fort if possible, without disclosing their intentions; but, in the event of not obtaining their object, they were to pretend having come on a friendly embassy to the Emperor. They accord­ingly came; and, after observing the great train and power accompanying the Emperor, gave up all thoughts of the fort; but, assuming the name of ambassadors, paid their respects to Akbar, and presented a peshkah. They received in return many marks of favour, and were allowed to depart.