It has been already mentioned that Bahádur Khán, son of Sultán Muzaffir II., had left the country, in consequence of the smallness of his personal estate, and his disagreement with his brother Sikandar. When Bahádur heard of his father's death, and his brother's murder, he mourned for four days, as is usual in such cases. Soon after having left Júnpúr, he set out for the capital, with all possible expedition; and arrived at the town of Mukrej, otherwise named Mahmúdnagar, where the nobles, who, through fear of Imádu-l-Mulk, had gone into retirement, now began to join him with troops from every quarter. On the 26th of Ramazán, of the same year, he arrived at Ahmadábád, and entered the citadel there, which is commonly known by the name of Bhaddar. During the festival day of that month he went to the place of prayers, and caused the oration to be pronounced in his own name. Having soon after conferred titles on thirty-two persons, he ordered that they should be provided with suitable offices; and, on the

12th July,
A.D. 1526.

2d of Shawál, set out for Mahmúdábád.

Imádu-l-Mulk, on hearing of the approach of the Sultán, became agitated; and sent an intimation to Latíf Khán, that, as Nasír Khán was now an infant, he, in the event of a war, would be able to conduct it. At length, however, through astonishment at the probable consequence of what he had done, he abandoned both Nasír Khán and Latíf Khán, and assumed to himself the royal authority. Sultán Bahádur in the mean time crossed the Mahindrí (Mahíriver); and, regardless of his army, advanced rapidly with only a few followers. After making a pil­grimage to the grave of Sikandar at Halol, he appointed Táj Khán, with one hundred horse­men, to bring Imádu-l-Mulk captive. This com­mander plundered the house of Imádu-l-Mulk, who fled to the residence of the chief Díwán, and there concealed himself. During these proceed­ings, Sultán Bahádur entered Mahmúdábád, with all the ensigns and pomp of royalty; and, after taking up his abode in the royal palace, ordered the seizure of Imádu-l-Mulk, which was effected after a little search. Imádu-l-Mulk was brought into the presence of the Sultán, who ordered him to be hung on a gibbet; and all those concerned in the base murder were pun­ished according to their deserts. Latíf Khán, who arrived in the immediate neighbourhood of the capital during these events, now retired; and Sultán Bahádur having mounted the throne

11th August,
A.D. 1526.

on the 4th of the month Zú-l-kadah, A. Hij. 932, A.D. 1526, bestowed honorary dresses on the ministers and nobles. After giving instructions for a donation of one year's pay to be given to the soldiers, he conferred distinguished titles on one hundred and fifty persons.

At this time, being a year of scarcity, a charity-house was established by the king's order; whilst he himself, when riding out, never gave less than a gold mohur to any poor person.

As Latíf Khán,* who had collected a body of Zamíndárs in the territories of Sultánpúr and Nadarbár, occasioned commotions there, an army was sent against him, when, being wounded in action, he was taken prisoner and brought before the Sultán, at the station of Múrghidínah, where he died.

Sultán Bahádur, after causing Nasír Khán to be poisoned, on the 15th of the Rabí-ul-awal, of

Dec. 20,
A.D. 1526.

the year of the Hijra 933, A.D. 1526, went hunting in the direction of Khambáyat, whence he went to Sorath, in consequence of the quarrels among the children of Malik Ayáz Sul­tání. In returning, he came by way of Diú, where he remained a month, and entrusted that place to the care of Mujáhid Khán. When he arrived at Ahmadábád, Vikramajit, the son of Ráná Sanka, waited upon him. After remain­ing there three months, Bahádur went to Mah­múdábád, and, having punished the Rájá of Nadote, proceeded to the fort of Súrat. From this place he travelled in the course of one night and day to Mahmúdábád, where he took leave of the Ráná's son on departure to return.

The Sultán again visited Diú, and remained there several days, in the year of the Hijra 934. From thence going to Khambáyat, he sailed for Ghoga; and, after again visiting Diú, returned to Mahmúdábád, by way of Kham­báyat. At this time, he gave orders that the city wall of Bhroch should be built.* After this he carried an army against Bágarh; when the Rájá of Dúngarpúr, coming to Mukrej, paid his respects. From thence he set out for Patan, and, by way of Ahmadábád, returned to Mah­múdábád with great celerity. The Sultán's perambulations, in these days, became prover­bial in the mouths of men, “that one travelled with the celerity of Bahádur.”

Were any one to attempt an account of all such expeditions, it would be almost impossible to detail the whole. I have, therefore, chosen to give a short and abridged explanation of them in these pages; but, should any one wish to know them more at length, let him turn to the pages of the Mirát Sikandarí.

In the year of the Hijra 935, A.D. 1528, he marched in the direction of Daulatábád, in order to assist his nephew, Mujáhid Khán, son of Ádil Khán Farúkí. During that expedition, it is said, nine hundred elephants of large stature accompanied him. After settling the important affairs of that quarter, he returned to his own

Shabán began
the 10th April,
A.D. 1529.

capital, in the month of Shabán of the same year.*

When he set out for the conquest of the

Began Sept. 5,
A.D. 1529.

Dekhan, in the month of Muharram, A. Hij. 936,* A.D. 1529, many of the Dekhan kings, with Bohrji, the Rájá Baglánah, waited upon him at Dhar, and tendered their services. The united armies of Sultán Bahádur and his nephew were at this time ordered to march against Ahmadnagar, the fort of Chaiwal,* and other places, which, with many cities in the Dekhan, were plundered. The oration was consequently read there in the name of the king of Gujarát. In the end of the month of Shabán, in that year, he resolved on returning, and, setting out for Mahmúdábád, accompanied by several persons. arrived there with great celerity.