The nobles and other grandees having released from prison the Sultán's son, Kutbu-d-dín Mubárak Sháh, then in his eighteenth year, seated him on the throne.

At the time when Alá-ud-dín recalled Alif Khán from the government of Gujarát, he put him to death: after which there happened to be great disorder in the affairs of the government; and, as both mutiny and sedition occurred in the country, rebels rose up in every direction. But Sultán Kutbu-d-dín Mubárak Sháh, on com­mencing his reign, sent Malik Kạmilu-d-dín to allay these disturbances; and this commander, having entered Gujarát, obtained the honour of martyrdom in a war with the Infidels; after which the disturbances of the country increased. At length Ainu-l-Mulúk Multání was deputed on this important business; and, accompanied by an army, made a settlement of the province in the manner he thought best calculated to bring it to a state of repose.

After these disturbances had been put down, the Sultán sent Malik Dínar, his father-in-law, with the title of Zafir Khán, as Governor of Gujarát, who, after being employed three or four months, completely settled the province, and sent large sums of money to the Royal Treasury. But the above-mentioned Khán, who was without a fault, and the chief support of the State, was recalled from Gujarát and put to death. At the same time, Hissámu-d-dín, brother of Khusrao Khán, who had found favour in the eyes of the Sultán, obtained the equipage formerly belonging to Zafir Khán, and was sent into Gujarát. On his arrival there, the Hindú tribe of Parmár,* to which both brothers belonged, assembled, and wished to excite him to rebellion. The other commanders who accompanied him discovered his evil designs, and, imprisoning him, sent him to the Sultán. Suc­ceeding this, Malik Wají-ud-dín Koreshí, a brave and active officer, was sent into Gujarát, in the place of Hissámu-d-dín; and the same brought the country into a peaceable state, after it had been disturbed by the former. At length, Wají-ud-dín was recalled, and obtained the title of Táju-l-Mulk.

Khusrao Khán, as before noticed, a Hindú of the Parmár tribe, and who was intimate with and possessed great power over the Sultán, was next appointed to Gujarát. Not being satisfied with this, however, he entertained improper desires of possessing the throne; and, collecting his own tribe around him, put the Sultán to death. Having afterwards usurped the government, he assumed the title of Nasiru-d-dín.

In short, the reign of Kutbu-d-dín Mubárak Sháh lasted four years and four months. At the end of this time, Ghází Malik,* a nobleman of the former dynasty, becoming acquainted with Khusrao Khán's evil deeds, and urged on by a nice sense of honour, col­lected an army, and made him a prisoner in war. he afterwards cut the traitor's body in pieces, and sent it to the capital. In conse­quence of their being none of Alá-ud-dín's pos­terity remaining, the nobles elevated Ghází Malik to the sovereignty, in the year of the Hijra 720, A.D. 1320. He having assumed the title of Ghiásu-d-dín Toghluk Sháh, appointed Táju-l-Mulk to the government of Gujarát, in order that he might bring the same into subjec­tion. This took place about the latter part of his reign, of which only four years and a few months had passed away, when the roof of a summer-house falling in killed him, with six other persons.