On Friday, 8th Shawwāl 1011, 11th March 1603, after the passing of 2 hours 40 minutes the fiery-winged peacock (the sun) made his nest in Aries, and the twelfth year of the fourth cycle brought news of joy to mortals.


New Year arrived, and the gardens became variegated,
The sun (shone) for the adornment of the season.
Inasmuch as air tempered water,
Bitter pools (of tears) in the eyes of lovers became sweet.

The palace was adorned by H.M.'s orders, and there were con­tinual feastings up to the day of the culmination (sharaf). The world's skirt of hopes was filled by the desire-granting of H.M. The grandees acquired eternal bliss by presentation of offerings.

The chaste, secluded lady Selīma Sulān Begum had petitioneds stating that she was coming to court with Prince Sulān Salīm. As the news-writers reported that Prince Sulān Daniel never quitted hicups, and that he had become weak and ill from constant wine-bibb­ing, the kindness of the spiritual physician willed that S. Ilahdād should be sent to summon him. Perhaps by coming to court his illness might be cured by the medicine of the Shāhinshāh's counsels. S. Ilahdād reported* H.M.'s desires to the prince. At this time the prince represented, “When I was informed of my being sum­moned, inasmuch as the time was not proper for sending for the Khān-khānān to Burhānpūr I went off rapidly to interview him in order that I might instruct him about what was fitting to be done, and might give him advice. When S. Ilahdād comes, I shall pro­ceed to the holy threshold.” When H.M. learnt this, his mystery-knowing mind perceived that the prince was not inclined to come, and that his going from Khandes to the Deccan was a pretext. Accordingly an order was issued to the effect that his going to the Khān-khānān was a subterfuge, and that his not coming was due to his habits of drinking and self-indulgence. What need was there for the Khān-khānān's receiving instructions from him? If he wrote such things again H.M. would be a thousand times more displeased. 819 An order was also issued to the effect that Khwāja Farāsat Khawāṣṣ— who had been left there on account of sickness—had several times been sent for, and also that the elephants which had been captured in the battle with 'Ambar and Farhād had been sent for, but that the prince had made improper pretexts and not forwarded them. He was enjoying himself in having fights of elephants which had not been produced before H.M. All these bad actions were proofs of the prince's unlucky star and perverted career. He must send all the elephants and also Khwāja Farāsat to court.

A gracious message, together with a shawl, was sent to Mālwa to M. Shāhrukh in order to exalt him, and noted horses and choice robes of honour were sent to the officers of the Deccan. Rajah Sūraj Singh was distinguished among his equals by the grant of a kettle-drum. As he had distinguished himself in the Deccan H.M. rewarded him with a kettle-drum. On 12th Farwardīn* Bīca Jān Anaga the mother of Zain K. Koka died. H.M. went to her house and consoled the survivors. M. Shāhrukh petitioned for leave to come to court. An order was issued to the effect that Prince Daniel had been summoned. If he had the grace to come, then it would not be proper for M. Shāhrukh to come, for in that case the country would be denuded of loyal officers. If the Prince from presumption, self-indulgence, bad companionship, and continual drinking did not come, then the Mīrzā might leave his troops in Mālwa and come to court. An order was issued to the Rai Rayān that as Bir Singh Deo had become a vagabond in the desert of destruction, he should come to court with the servants who were assisting him. Twelve elephants sent by Prince Daniel were submitted for the inspection of H.M., and from among them one named Shāhrukh was placed among the special elephants.

One of the occurrences was the coming of Prince Sulān Selīm. When he was approaching the centre of fortune, he sent a petition to the effect that Her Majesty the Queen of the world, Miriām-Makānī, might take his hand and cast him at the feet of His sphere-brushing Majesty. His petition was granted, and H.H. Miriām-Makānī went forward one stage and by renewed cordiality soothed the prince's terrified soul. Next day he was brought to court, and the prince laid the countenance of humility and ashamedness at the feet of the Khāqān of the world, and confessed his evil doings. The enlightened sovereign ostensibly accepted his inadmissible excuses, and held him in a loving embrace. But the fawning of the prince did not remedy the inward dissatisfaction of the sovereign. The 820 prince presented as an offering 12,000 muhurs and 977 elephants. Out of the latter 350 were accepted. An order was issued to Prince Daniel to the effect that as Rajah Sūraj Singh had long been in that province, and wished to come to court, and also wished to arrange the affairs of his native country, he should keep Gobind* Dās Bhātī, his officers together with his troops, and send off Sūraj Singh unattended to court, in order that he might reap benefit of good service and spend his days in his own country. The Prince Royal begged for the elephant Pūn (the Holy), which was unique for good dispositions and swiftness, and H.M. graciously granted his request. The generous Shāhinshāh in order to capture the terrified heart of the prince took his turban off his head and placed it on the prince's head. This was an omen of his adorning the crown and throne. Though the Khāqān did not approve of the Prince Royal's succeeding him, yet he involuntarily* put the crown of dominion on a head which had been made fit for the diadem of rule, and the auspicious Humā spread its shade. S. 'Abdu-r-Raḥmān the son, and 'Abu-l-barkāt the brother of 'Allāmī S. 'Abu-l-faẓl deceased came from the Deccan and brightened their foreheads by the prostration of service. The condolences of the King, the ser­vant-cherisher, were balm to the inward wounds which they had sustained by the catastrophe of the sanctified Shaikh, and poured water on the fire of their heated livers! They presented three ele­phants, four swords, seven strings of pearls and some ornamented vessels as peshkash, and these were duly accepted. A special shawl (parm narm) was presented to S. 'Abdu-r-Raḥmān. Har Har Rai the son of Rajah Bīrbar brought the petition of Prince Daniel. It represented that he had left off drinking for six months, and it offered excuses for his not coming. Four lakhs of dāms were pre­sented to M 'Alī* Akbarshāhī. Abū-l-baqī* Uzbeg came from Tūrān and from his lucky star turned his face towards the K'aaba of fortune. H.M. gave him a manṣab of 500 together with 150 horse. Qulīj K.—who was an old servant—received the rank of 5,000 zāt-u-sawār.* Ḥusain Beg S. 'Umarī was sent off to the charge of the provinces of Kabul and Bangash. Mādhū Singh received a manṣab of 3,000 and 2,000 horse.

The occurrences in Bengal were as follows. The zamīndār of 821 the Magh* country came with a large fleet and in the first place proceeded against Sonargāon, and invested the fort of Parmma­hānī* (?)—where were Sulān Qulī Qalmāq* s. Moaffar Khānī and a number of servants. He came out of the fort and fought with the enemy, and by the might of H.M.'s fortune he was victorious. He thereupon proceeded to the fort which was held by Aḥmad the wife's brother of Yūsuf Kashmīrī. He fought with a number of Kashmīrīs, and some of his men were killed, and he himself was wounded* and fled at night from the field of battle. When the Rajah (Mān Singh) heard of the success of the enemy, he appointed Ibrāhīm Beg Atka, Rāghū Dās, Askaran, Dalpat Rai and others to render assistance. The enemy during several days fell upon the thanahs, and there were great co mbats. Ibrāhīm Beg set himself to put down the enemy and having arranged his forces bravely went for­ward to battle. There was hot fighting, and the enemy was chas­tised. Many were killed. The enemy regarded the river as a pro­tection against the fire of the swords and took to their boats. They anchored their fleet and began a hot fire of cannon and muskets. The imperialists sank some of the boats* (ghrābs).