On the night of Thursday, 26th Ramẓān, 1010, 11th March 1602, 803 after 8 hours 42 minutes, the fountain of light passed to Aries, and the eleventh year of the fourth cycle brought glory.


The New Year came and grief left the world;
The dew on the leaves was like pearls in the shell;
The Shāh on the throne of glory granted abundance;
Behold: the Sun is in the house of exaltation.

In accordance with H.M.'s orders, the palace of fortune became rose-coloured, and exhibited an entrancing spectacle. From New Year's day up to the day when the Sulan of the East (the sun) arrived at his culmination, there was a time of liberality and a daily market of gifts and pardons. The Eyes of the State and the Pillars of empire were distinguished by princely favours. Abundant offer­ings and scatterings were made by the grandees. During the august festival S. Abū-l-faẓl was presented with a swift, special horse which was made over to Abū-l-khair (his brother) to be delivered to him.

One of the occurrences was the appointment of a number of imperial servants for the chastisement of the rulers of Mau* and Jammū. News came that Bāsū the ruler of Mau had, out of evil thoughts, attacked the borders of Pathān, and had sorely troubled the husbandmen thereof, and had by violence carried off some to his own territory. Tāj K. desired to go and punish him. The zamīn­dār of Jammū also made long the hand of oppression against the villages of the parganas Moaffarwāl* and Bahlūlpūr. Husain Beg S. 'Umarī—who held these two places in fief—prepared in Rohtās the means of punishing him and went off in that direction. On this account an order was given to Qulīj K., the governor of the Panjab, to send Ḥasan Qulīj, his son, with a body of troops to put down the dis­turbance, and sazāwals were sent from the court to cause Ḥusain Beg S. 'Umarī, Tāj K. Aḥmad Beg and other servants of the province to join Ḥasan Qulīj. Khwāja Sulaimān was made Bakhshī of the force.

The following matters occurred in Tūrān. When 'Abdullah K. died, and his son 'Abdūl Mūmīn's days also came to an end, Shāh 'Abbās, the ruler of Persia, who was always on the watch for an opportunity, set out on an expedition to Khurāsān. Hāshim* K., Bāqī K., and Payinda Muḥammad K., the sister's sons of 'Abdullah K., engaged with him in battle. The Shāh prevailed over the country, Hāshim K. lost his life in the fight and the other two fled, defeated, from Khurāsān. Payinda K. came by the jugglery of fate to Qan- 804 dahār and was there seized by the servant of Shāh Muḥammad K. The end of his affairs will be related in its place. Bāqī K. went to Tūrān. As that country had no ruler, and except him there was no one who could fill the post, he became Khān. After some time he led a force against Tāshkend. As Qalandar K., the ruler there, did not see in himself the power to contend, he had recourse to submis­sion. Bāqī K. made him his subject and took possession of Samarkand and Bokhārā. He gave Badakhshān to his brother, Walī Muḥammad K. Shāh 'Abbās after taking Khurāsan, spent some time in enjoy­ment in Herat and then returned to Ispahan. In the second year he set out with a large army to take Balkh and encamped near that city. Bāqī K., whose power was not yet fully established, considered that his best plan was not to engage in a pitched battle, so he set down his tents opposite the Shāh's camp and dug a trench round them and waited. When much time had been spent, the Qizilbāsh graudees were troubled by the delay and inevitable privations and by the dying of their animals. The Shāh therefore gave up his design and returned to Khurāsān.

At this time Prince Sulān Daniel petitioned that the Rai Rayān might be appointed to the Deccan, and that an army should be sent to punish the zamīndārs of Garha. This was granted, and an order was issued to the Rai Rayān that he should, in the first place, proceed to the country of Garha—which was in his fief—and arrange for its administration. Afterwards he was to go to the Prince. Also, at this time Shādmān and 'Abdullah, the sons of the Khān Ā'im, were each raised to the rank of 1,000. After some time, Anwar, another son of the said Khān and who was older than the other two, was raised to the same rank. As he was addicted to wine, and was of indolent habits, and had shown self-will in the service of H.M., this was his punishment. Ten horses which were presented to the Khān-khānān were made over to his agent, and forty horses were entrusted to* Khwāja Laīf, that he might convey them to Prince Daniel. The sons of M. Yūsuf K. and Raḅīm* Qulī and the son of Khān Jahān came from their fiefs and paid their respects.

One of the occurrences was the brave death of Jāmil Beg, the son of Tāj K. Tāj K., after collecting auxiliaries, set himself to the chastisement of Bāsū, the ruler of Mau. When he came* to the par­gana of Pathān he did not halt, but went forward. He chose an encampment in a place, of which he approved. At the time of 805 marching, the enemy appeared, and Jamil Beg became ardent. Without delay he fell upon the foe with a few of his men. At first he was victorious, and killed the leaders of the enemy. Then he encountered two other forces, which came from the right and left, and after exhibiting much valour and standing firm, he bravely quaffed the last draught. Fifty men accompanied him to the other world.

Raẓā Qulī, the son of the Khān Jahān, received a manṣab of 500 with 100* horse, Islām Qulī K., the brother of Shāh Qulī K. Maḥram, one of 500 with 150 horse, while Muḥammad Qulī Turkamān's rank was increased by the gift of an elephant. Zāhid Beg, the son of Ṣādiq K., came from the Deccan and was exalted by performing the kornish. 'Allāmī S. Abu-l-Faẓl received the rank of 5,000, and was made by the appreciative sovereign the recipient of favours suitable to his services and loyalty. It appeared from a petition by Prince Sulān Daniel that the son of Shāh 'Alī was preparing to make a commotion in the district of Aḥmadnagar, and that 'Ambar Jeo had proceeded two or three months before to the territory of Bīdar.* Malik Barīd, the ruler of that country, sent one named Ibrāhīm to put him down. He fought a severe battle* with 'Ambar, and fell bravely. Fourteen elephants and other materials of greatness fell into the hands of 'Ambar, and these added to his arrogance. From there he went to Nūbilās (?) and had a hot engagement with Quṭbu-l-Mulk's people. He was victorious and obtained nine and twenty elephants. Then he proceeded to Telingāna. As Mīr Martaẓā had not the strength to oppose him, he entered a fort,* and that evil-minded one took possession of some of the estates and sent a body of men to the other parganas of Berar. Malik Barīd thought his remedy lay in supplication and flattery and sent him a sum of money, and made peace. The immoderation of the wicked had come to such a pass that he would soon unite with the son of Shāh 'Alī and both of them would throw the dust of sedition on their heads. On receipt of this news it was determined* that 'Allāmī S. Abu-l-faẓl should be sent with a large force to Jālnāpūr, and that the Aḥmadnagar ser­vice and the punishment of Rājū and other rebels should also be entrusted to him. The control of Berar, Pāthrī and Telingāna, and the extirpation of the son of Shāh 'Alī and of 'Ambar Jeo were com­mitted to the Khān-khānān.

One of the occurrences was the turning back to Allahabad of the Prince Royal from the neighbourhood of Etawah, in accordance with the orders of H.M. At the time of the New Year he had peti­tioned* and expressed a wish to kiss the threshold, saying that his distance from the Presence disquieted his mind. As the petition did not possess the glory of sincerity, it was not accepted. Mean­while news came that he was proceeding towards the court with evil intentions and accompanied by 30,000* horse. A Fate-like order 806 was issued from the antechamber of wrath and severity to the effect that “He should recognize that his peace and prosperity lay in returning to Allahabad. If a desire for service had seized his collar, he should come to court unattended.” Inasmuch as his disposition was not sincere, he on receipt of this order lost the thread of plan, and was mortified, and turned back from Etawah towards Allahabad. In reply to the order he used expressions of lamentation, and represented his ashamedness, and made excuses unworthy of being heard and sent them to the court by the Sadr-i-Jahān.* Close upon this another order was issued to the Prince to the effect that the provinces of Bengal and Orissa were made over to him, and that he should proceed to that extensive country. An order was also issued to Rajah Mān Singh that he should leave the province of Bengal to the Prince's agents, and should himself come as a pilgrim and pay his devotions at court. But the Prince thought his advantage con­sisted in acting contrary to the orders of his visible God, and did not consent to take the governorship of that large country.