After passing Dīpālpūra,* six kos from Ujjain, he left the Sarang­pūr route and proceeded towards Rantanbhor. He traversed 228 1/2 kos in 48 marches, and made 60 halts. Loyal servants came con­tinually, one after the other, and gathered auspiciousness, and had audiences. At Bīāna Qulīj K. and many other servants had their joy fulfilled. On the 31st, when it was a favourable hour, he made Agra, the capital, happy by his holy advent, and small and great had their wishes. On this day Zain K. Koka had an audience at Man­dhākar. He had been in service at Tīrāh. When the ringleader of the Tārīkīs met with his deserts, and the commotion of Afghanistan subsided, he by the royal order took up his quarters at Lahore. On this occasion H.M. summoned him to his presence. Part of his peshkash was a choice ruby. On 2nd Shahrīyūr Payinda* K. died. He was the son of Qutluq Qadam K., and had his share of courage and enlightenment.

When the writer delayed somewhat at Qutlu's tank, fear fell upon the Daulatābād garrison, and they thought that the firing of cannon would be a means of their deliverance. In that year and month they fired a great gun and two men lost their lives at once. To one fine fellow it happened that his abdomen was torn and his bowels came out. From fulness of courage he did not lose his fortitude and died at midnight. Next day Rājū received some punishment. He was on the point of going to Nāsīk. Some double-faced men kept him back from doing so. He went by another road and passing Daulatābād, he plundered Satāra and some other places In the morning the writer came down from the hills and went to attack him. As the country was hilly, it was impossible to march rapidly. As many said that he had turned back, the writer pitched his tent at Catwāra* (?). At the end of the day, when the men were engaged in the descent, Rājū appeared with a force. I reposed my 796 confidence in God and came out to fight, and though my troops were not drawn up in battle array, some active men engaged. Rai Gopāl displayed valour, and though the enemy was more than 5,000, and the imperialists about 3,000 and they too unarranged, victory showed her face, and great joy seized the world. As day had become night, no pursuit was made. On the 8th Rājū again came to fight, and this suppliant to God also came forward. The active men of the van, viz. I'tibār K., 'Aādil K., Rai Gopāl fought, and he according to his practice made war consist in flight. M. Zāhid, M. Nāṣīr, Mīr Gadāī came from the right wing and fought. Rājū's horse stumbled and he fell. Some well-wishers caught the horse; and with great difficulty he escaped. Kajkana and some brave men of the right wing put their hands to the work. They fought for three kos up to Daulatābād. The garrison then came to Rājū's help. The victorious warriors were nearly being defeated. But the writer came up, and the enemy was dispersed. As the day was at an end we returned and halted for a little. Again the wicked poured in from every side, and though there was no arrangement (tūzuk), there was a great fight. Several of the enemy were killed, and some were captured, and victory showed her face. I engaged in returning thanks to God. After that Rājū could not show himself for some time. He spent his days in bewilderment under the protection of the for tof Daulatābād. On the 15th he came with a large host, but was put to flight after a short contest.

One of the occurrences was the commotion of Telingāna. When S. 'Abdu-r-Raḥmān gained his victory, he returned after leaving on guard Ḥamīd K., Bāz Bahādur, Bahādur-al-Mulk and other brave men. Inasmuch as the slumber of neglect had seized the administra­tors, and the writer was somewhat far away, 'Ambar Jīo fell upon the country of Barīd, and though the soldiers of that country had little assistance, yet in the pride of courage they stood firm. In this year and month a battle took place on the bank of the Mānjana. The imperialists were nearly victorious, but by heaven's decree they were defeated. Bahādur-al-Mulk with difficulty crossed the river and obtained protection. Ḥamīd K. and Bāz Bahādur were caught. The fertile land of Telingāna went out of hand once more. The wicked disturbed places which had been quieted.

On the 22nd (Shahrīyūr, 1st September, 1601) Tulsī* Dās came from his house and had an audience. On 6th Mihr Zain K. Koka died. Success led2* him into drinking. When he was summoned to court, he gave this up somewhat and fell ill. His heart and eyes failed. Apparently* there had been a rift in the joints of his service and so fortune prepared for a day of retribution. H.M. protected his honour and showed kindness to his survivors. He gave his son an office of 700.

One of the occurrences was the disgrace of Rājū. On the 14th that wicked man again prepared to fight, and fled after a short engagement. On the 16th he with some bands approached the camp. In order that the troops might be drawn up in battle array they with­drew into the protection of a small hill. Some retreated and went off rapidly to Daulatābād. It was reported that Rājū was advancing. I went there myself and appointed troops to chastise the others. Many fought and were defeated, and some returned without having come to close quarters. Some active men of the writer fell on the enemy and came to the city, and returned victorious. At the end of the day I returned to the camp. In the middle of the way it was reported that Rājū and some others had gone off to plunder (?) (the camp). Maḥasan, the son of Ghāzī K., who was coming to the camp, fought and was made prisoner. Now advance was being made to Daulatābād by the skirt of the hill, and I was obliged to go there. M. 'Alī Beg Akbar Shāhī, Qāsim Khwāja, M. Zāhid, Tāsh Beg, Rai Gopāl displayed activity. They fought and came to Daulatābād. They were nearly taking it. Rājū craftily threw himself into the moat, but his goods and chattels were plundered. Nearly 500 horses and much property were taken. A wonderful thing was that in that rain of cannon-balls no injury was done to the imperialists. When I approached, they fired a great cannon which carried balls (tīr) of ten mans weight. The same moment, it burst, and by the con­cussion part of the wall of the fort fell down. The garrison cried out for quarter. As the day was near at an end, and from caution, I returned to the camp. That base one, after his punishment, remained under the protection of the fort and spent his days in straitened circumstances. Numerous persons left him. He fell into fear. If the administrators of the country had been energetic, that thorn bush would have been rooted out. On the 21st the writer went to the Khān-khānān. When 'Ambar Jīo took possession of Telingāna, and showed a disposition to advance, the son of Shāh 'Alī sent Farhād K. and a number of others against Sher Khwāja. The Khān-khānān came out of Aḥmadnagar and having crossed the Gan­ges came to Jāīgīr* (?). He repeatedly wrote to me and asksd me for help. As he had excused himself for not looking after the administra­tion, for staying long in Aḥmadnagar and for not sending assistance, I accepted his apologies and proceeded towards him. I left M. 'Al'ī Beg, Akbar Shāhī, the Saiyids of Bārha, the sons of Ḥasan K. Miyāna,* the brothers of Jānish Bahādur and others to guard against Rājū. 798 By the jugglery of the heavens, the capture of Rājū, who was at his last gasp, was delayed. On the 30th (Mihr), October 1601, Mīr Murād Juwaīnī* Cūlī died. He had been left in Lahore as bakhshī of the Panjāb forces. He died of fever. On 6th Ābān the solar weigh­ment took place, and H.M. was weighed in the dwelling of Miriam-Makānī against twelve articles. There was a wide field for enjoy­ment, and the needy gained their desires. On the 9th Rajah Rāj Singh came from Gwaliyār and did homage. On this day S. Ḥusain was sent to take charge of the bounteous tomb of Khwāja M'uīnu-d-dīn—may his grave be hallowed! He was regarded as descended from his daughter. On account of improprieties he was for some time placed in the school of the prison, and for a time he trod the desert of misfortune. At this time he received favours and was sent to his old home. He was appointed to look after the recluses at the tomb and to arrange for the distribution of food. On the 11th Rai Rai Singh came to court and was treated with favour. He had been appointed to the army of the Deccan along with the writer. When news came that his son Dalpat had gone to his home and was behaving oppressively, he took leave in order to remedy matters. That turbulent one awoke somewhat from his somnolence, and showed a desire that H.M. would recall his father to court, and asked that an order of forgiveness might relieve him from fear so that he might hasten to court. His request was granted and he was summoned, and that presumptuous one acted according to his words, and emerged from eternal ruin! On the 16th Qulīj K. obtained leave to go to the Panjāb. As there was no great officer there, this chosen servant was appointed there. It had been proposed that the govern­ment of Kabul should be entrusted to Shāh* Qulī K. Maḥram. He (Qulīj K.) asked for the charge of both places (the Panjāb and Kabul), and this was granted, and an order issued. In this year and month Khwājagī Fatḥ Ullah returned without having effected his object. When he came back from Nāsik, re infectâ, the Prince sent him there again. S'aādat K., Fūlād K., Malik Sher, Saiyid 'Alī, Saiyid Jalāl and other fiefholders of Dāndesh and Nadarbār were sent with him. The soldiers were collected with delay. When he came to Bābil, Rājū came out to fight, and they could not stand their ground. They fought and retired to the fort of Sūngar. He invested it for a short time. Then he left it and opened the hand of plunder. In Pāthrī he laid hold of the family of S'aādat K., and got a large amount of property. His strength having been increased, he returned to attack the fort. At this time there was a loud report that 'Amat K. was coming with some soldiers of Baharjī 799 (of Baglāna). 'Inayat Ullah came with some men from Burhānpūr. People also spoke about the writer's returning to that quarter so he (Rājū) was obliged to leave the fort and to proceed towards Daulatā bād. He took Gālnah (Jālnah). Khwajagī Fatḥ Ullah had made it over to Y'aqūb Beg Shighālī, and S'aīd Beg Badakhshī. When he was besieged (in Sūngar), he applied to them for help. The agents of these two basely and avariciously took 2,000 hūns and delivered up that choice fortress.