Assuredly, dominion comes unsought to those rulers with whom increase of territory brings increase of humility and devotion. And what they desire is carried to the height of fulfilment in spite of thousands of stones in the way. The account of this great victory is another instance of this. The idea of those who had been sent on this duty was that they would give their minds to it after the rains. H.M. continually ordered exertion and his standards arrived at Bur­hānpūr. So they were compelled to undertake the work. Cānd Bībī made the same propositions as she had made to the writer, whilst Abhang K. came to the top of the hills with a large force of Abyssinians and Deccanīs and meditated fighting. On the eve* of 26th Farwardīn (about 5th April, 1601) the day of Fortune manifested itself gloriously. Dissension broke out among the Deccan soldiers, and this one and that one declared that some of the leaders were treating with the imperialists. The leader (Abhang) lost courage and disbanded without a battle. Next morning the Pass was crossed and a camp formed near Aḥmadnagar. On 2nd Ardibihisht (about 12th April) the batteries were distributed. First, there were the special servants of the Prince; secondly, Shāhrukh M., the Khān-khānān, M. Yūsuf K., Mīr Martaẓā, Jagannāth, Sher Khwāja, M. 'Alī Beg, Khwāja Beg, M. Iftikhār* K., Kīcak Khwāja, Muḥammad K. and other brave men. Cānd Bībī renewed her promises. On hearing of this Jītā* K., the eunuch, with some evil persons inside (the fort) put to death that choice lady, and with the help* of the 'Itibār K., Mīr Ṣafī, Mīr Taqī and Ḥājī Muḥammad they proceeded to fire the cannon. Owing to the love for delay of some of the leaders, an easy task became difficult, and several sallies were made from the fort, but they returned without success. By the energetic endeav­ours 775 of the Prince, able servants set themselves to make a glacis (khākrez). So they filled up the moat and came close to the walls. The moat was from thirty to forty yards broad and seven deep. The wall was of bluish stone (basalt?) and twenty-seven yards high. Though great efforts were made (everywhere) yet there was especial activity in the batteries of the Prince and of M. Yūsuf K. Mines were made in several places, but the garrison found them out and filled them up. Strange to say, they made a shaft from within and set fire to the mine, but it became extinguished in the glacis, and no harm was done. The explosion (sust-paiwandī rāh yāft) split a tower of the fortress. When this was discovered, they* (the enemy) tried to empty it (the mine), but as the crack was in the skirt (of the bas­tion) they did not succeed. 180 mans of gunpowder were put in and on 6th Shahrīyūr,* 16th August, 1600, at breakfast time, they were fired. Much of the tower—which was known as Lailā—and 30 yards of the wall were blown up. By the wonders of fortune the stones crushed the enemy to pieces and did not injure the besiegers. Active men entered by this route, and many penetrated from the bat­teries of M. Yūsuf K. 1,500 of the garrison were put to the sword. Some were saved by the instrumentality of their acquaintances. Bahādur, the son of Ibrāhīm and grandson of Burhān,—whom they had made Niāmu-l-mulk,—was captured. Valuable jewels, embroi­dered articles, a noble library and many other things, and 25 ele­phants, were obtained. The guns and powder were beyond computa­tion. One of the wonderful things of fortune was that during the time of the siege—which was the rainy season—no rain fell, and the glacis was easily made. On the day after the victory it rained. The fortress was taken after four months and four days, and the drums of joy beat high. In two days* the news was brought to Burhānpūr and there was much giving of thanks. Bulletins of vic­tory were sent everywhere, and there was a daily market of joy.

On the 8th the disturbance in Kashmīr subsided. When H.M. marched to the Deccan, some turbulent fellows in that country raised up Ab-yā Cak, the son of Ḥusain K., and filled that pleasant land with vapour. 'Alī Qulī, the son of Muḥammad Qulī, Kalb 'Alī, Shāh Beg Nakdarī and other good servants fought a battle at Phāknagar,* and were victorious. So also a sedition was raised in Kamrāj. Jamāl Beg and some brave men punished them in Tīlagāon,* and that delightful country had repose. On the 12th Amān Ullah, the son of Saif K. Koka, died in Burhānpūr. That excellent youth, from observ­ing 776 the ways of his contemporaries, fell into drinking habits, and threw away his life in that way.

One of the occurrences was the death of Jalāla Tārīkī. The Loḥānī tribe practised buying and selling in Ghaznīn. Before this, the Hazāras lay in wait and attacked them. For seven days they stood firm and fought. They were overcome by thirst and turned back, and sought help from the leader of the Tārīkīs. On the 9th he came as a merchant to Ghaznīn. The servants of Sharīf K. and the peasants made some fight and then withdrew. That wicked one set himself to practise trickery, and gathered many goods under the pretext of purchasing them. On the 16th he wanted to take the things home. Shādmān Hazāra and others opposed him, and after a little fighting were victorious. The Tārīkīs took to flight, and that illfated one was wounded and went to the hill of Rabā. Murād Beg and some others came and finished him. The great material of sedi­tion was easily disposed of. For a long time numerous soldiers had been appointed to punish him, and some years before this, Zain K. Koka and many brave men had made an expedition against him. By the strength of Fortune some unknown men did his business. In this year Bhān,* the son of Sujān Singh, died in Burhānpūr. He was a landholder in the eastern countries (khāwarī mirz), and was distinguished for bravery. An old servant of his had become mad, and at a time when he (Sujān or Bhān) was naked and had no weapon with him, the servant struck him some blows with a sword, and in a short while he died of his wounds.

In the beginning of Mihr Sādāt K. came to court. For some time no messages came from the garrison of Āsīr. By H.M.'s orders the writer wrote some counsels to Bahādur K. He sent that saiyid —who was his sister's husband (īzna) and chief swordsman (mīr shamshēr)* —with ten elephants. He obtained an audience, and made the same statement as before. As it was untrue, it was not accepted. An order was given for sending back the presents, and it was said that “the governor of the garrison has not awoke from his slumber. It will be well for him to come out of his sleep soon. Blandishments are of no use.” Sādāt said, “With great difficulty have I brought myself out of those difficulties, and have long had a desire to serve the sublime court.” As his speech had the glory of truth, it was accepted, and he was raised to the rank of 1,000. Shaikh Pīr Muḥam­mad Ḥusain, one of his companions, carried back the reply. On 3rd Ābān Akhairāj came from Aḥmadnagar. He had conveyed an order from H.M. The Prince (Daniel) sent some of the Niām-ul-Mulkī ladies with him, and every one of them received suitable favours. On the 5th the feast of the solar weighment took place, and H.M. was weighed against twelve articles. High and low had 777 their wishes gratified. On the 23rd the troops arrived at Junair.* That city was the abode of the Niām-ul-Mulki's ancestors. The fort is called Bīr.* When Aḥmadnagar was conquered, M. Khān was sent there. Burhān-ul-mulk, 'Imād K., Ḥabīb K., 'Alī Sher K., and others accompanied him. By God's help it was taken without a con­test. No long time had elapsed when the Hindia landholder and some other ignorant persons had come to fight. They were punished. The garrison proposed capitulation and the delivery of the keys. On the 8th Āẕar H.M. visited the tomb of Bīca (Jījī). As the Khān Ā'ẓim M. Koka was sending the body to Delhi, the appreciative sovereign came there and begged forgiveness for her. From there he proceeded to Lāl Bāgh and took some repose. As the charge of that flower-garden was with the writer he made some humble repre­sentations, and the door was opened to auspiciousness.