On the 29th the great tent was erected at Ujjain. H.M.'s inten­tion was to remain for some days in Mālwa and enjoy hunting, so 767 that the soldiers might set themselves energetically to the conquest of Aḥmadnagar. When the news came that Bahādur K., the ruler of Khāndesh, had, in consequence of the strength of his fortress and the amount of his equipment, not paid his respects to the Prince, and that the latter thought of taking the fort and of punishing him, an order was issued that he should proceed with his expedition against Aḥmadnagar. “Perhaps Badādur's not paying his respects was not the result of rebelliousness. Perhaps his intention was first to pay his respects to ourselves (Akbar). Otherwise the august standards will come to Burhānpūr and get to the bottom of the affair.” The Prince obeyed the order and went on. Bahādūr K. offered choice presents, and sent his son Kabīr K. with some men to accom­pany him (Prince Daniel). First, Khwājāh Mawadūd went from the court to give him advice. He sent four unsuitable elephants and made false statements about not paying his respects. Then Mīr Ṣadar Jahān was sent to give advices, and after him Peshrau K. Bahādur in his want of wisdom fell into absurd thoughts. As his ancestor (his father) had ended his life in obedience and service, H.M. had favoured him from afar and had given him his kingdom. From ill-fatedness he did not march with the army of the South, and did not wait upon the princes. H.M. was always making* allow­ances for him. Now when the august standards had arrived near at hand, and Bahādur did not accept advice, he unavoidably pro­ceeded to punish him and to take his country from him. He marched by the route of Dīpālpūr and Dhār to Burhānpūr. On the 11th Isfandārmaẕ, Sālbāhan, the son of Mandī (?), S., Farīd* Bakhshī Begī, Hāshim Beg, Qarā Beg, Qāẓī Ḥasan, M. Yūsuf, Bāz Bahādur, Muqīm K., Bahādur K., Tolak* K., M. Barkhūrdār, 'Ulugh Beg Badakhshī, Raḥīm Haravī, Mīr Jalāl, Qazal Abdāl, 'Alāu-d-dīn Ḥusain, Bikramā­jīt, Lakhmān Sen, Bhangan (?) K., and some Saiyids of Bārha and many other brave men, were sent off to besiege Āsīr. On the 21st Fatḥ Ullah* Sharbatdār (butler) died. He was a good servant and right-minded. He was placed in a confidential position on account of his good service. He fell into habits of drinking, and was sent to the Deccan in the hope that the pain of separation might be medici­nal to him. He had the auspiciousness to give up the habit, but suffered severe pains, so that physicians came to despair of him. The gracious sovereign called him to himself, and he got a little better. He went to visit Māndū, and suddenly died. On the 23rd H.M. arrived at the Narbada. Next morning he enjoyed swimming* therein. On the 26th he crossed the river and arrived at Bījāgarha. The New Year feast was celebrated in that delightful place.