H.M. marched and administered justice for two months, twenty-one days. From every place he received new grandeur. Three days he halted in order to give men repose. Crowds of men obtained varied joys, and gifts were showered. The appreciative sovereign won the heart of every one by special consideration. He alighted in the august fortress. Everywhere there was feasting and ban­queting.


See how the victorious standards arrive.
The news of victory and joy have reached the sun and moon.
The sphere-circle rejoices for the moon has come.
The world has got its desire now that the Shāh has come.

His intention* was not to enter the city but to proceed on southwards. But as his heart was uneasy on account of the delay in the arrival of the princes, and as praters continually wove new tales, he drew his rein and stopped to reflect. Fresh summons were issued to the princes. Inasmuch as the writer of the noble volume always held to his own opinion without respect of persons, and repre­sented in an eloquent manner what was good for the State, those 749 who sought for an opportunity and were crooked in their ways represented their own interested views. In consequence of their intrigues I was sent off on the 25th* (Dai, about 5th January, 1599) to bring Prince Sulān Murād. An order was given that if the officers of the Deccan should take upon themselves the supervision of the country, I was to come to court with the Prince. Otherwise I was to send him off and to work in harmony with the others, and to act according to the opinion of M. Shāhrukh. On this account the Mīrzā received a flag and a drum and was sent to Mālwa in order that in his own fiefs he might equip the soldiers. When he was recalled to the Deccan he was to go quickly. On this day M. Rustum received Raisīn and its territory in fief and was sent off there. Shāhbāz K. was sent to Ajmere in order that he might chas­tise the Rānā's officers. Every one of the servants got a choice horse and a special khil'at. The writer of the noble volume received in ạddition a warlike (mast) elephant. On the 28th the ambassador of Kashghar arrived. The sovereign (Akbar) had sent skilful men with some presents, but on account of the inscurity of the roads they could not proceed. Muḥammad K. on hearing of this became (lit. grew big) exultant and remembered to return thanks. He sent off Mīr Imām to the court with presents, but on the way he was plundered. He arrived with the letter and was favourably received. On the day S'aīd K. arrived from Behar and did homage. On 1st Isfandārmaẕ* the fort of Lohagarha belonging to Daulatābād was taken. M. 'Alī Beg Akbarshāhī invested it for about a month, and the garrison being in want of food and water, capitulated and delivered up the keys. On the 3rd Mīr 'Ātrif Ardibilī died in Agra. They said he was the son of Sām M. Ṣafavī. He was an ascetic and a solitary. Wonderful tales are told of him. On the 11th the quarters of M. Koka were glorified (by Akbar's arrival), and H.M., by sympathetic words, soothed his mother who was in grief for Māh Bānū and was nearly dying. She had been detained for a while at the place where her daughter died, and now arrived. By the life-giving medicine of kindness she obtained existence.

At this time the Persian ambassador arrived. When the ruler of Tūrān died, Shāh 'Abbās conceived the idea of making an expedition to Khurāsān. He defeated Atam* Sulān, a relation of 'Abdullah K., in a great battle and took that country. M. 'Alī Beg Yūzbāshī was sent by him to court with a humble letter and some choice horses and other presents. He regarded this victory as the result of the amity of H.M., and recited his thanks. On the 25th he was exalted by performing the prostration, and was gratified by princely favours.