The intention of the Shāhinshāh was to send the victorious troops under the command of the Prince-Royal to Tūrān, and to include that ancestral territory within the empire. As that nursling* of dominion, owing to the intrigues of some worshippers of India, did not give his mind to this enterprise, H.M.'s idea was that when his other sons should come to do homage, he would send whichever of them showed an inclination for the task. At this time foolish and envious talkers represented that Prince Sulān Murād had no inten­tion of coming to court, and they quoted the unbecoming speeches of this and that person. They also pointed out improper behaviour on the part of Prince Daniel, who had already hastened off from Allahabad. H.M. resolved on making an expedition to the south by the route of Agra. If the reports were true, he would first give his mind to remedying matters there, and afterwards would conquer the Deccan, for the troops had long gone there, and the work had been protracted on account of interested motives. Afterwards, if fortune favoured him, he would make an expedition to Tūrān. As it was the 746 fourteenth year since his advent to the Panjab, and numbers of men had become attached to the place, they did not approve of this expedition (to the Deccan). While they made the disturbance of the homeless Tārīkīs a pretext for abstaining from it, and sometimes they brought forward the commotion of the rebels in the northern hills. From the activity of the market of dissimulation, there was some delay, but as Almighty God did not permit what was proper for eternal dominion's being passed over, H.M.'s first design grew stronger, and on 26 Ābān (about 6 November, 1598), after one hour twelve minutes of the night of Thursday, he set off on an elephant, Miriam-Makānī, and the other Begams, and Sulān Khurram, were left in Lahore. Khwāja Shamsu-d-dīn was appointed to look after the court and the province. Mīr Murād was Mīr Bakhshī, and Malik Khair Ullah was appointed to be Kotwāl. On the 30th, Abu-l-qāsim Tamkīn* arrived from Kashmīr at the first stage, and had the honour of an audience. On 13 Āẕar H.M. crossed the river Bīāh (Beas) on an elephant at Gobindwāl, while the troops crossed by a bridge. On this day the house of Arjun Kūr (Kūrū) received fresh lustre by the advent of the Shāhinshāh. His forefathers had been, one after the other, the leaders of the Brahman caste. He entreated much, and, as his desire sprang from devotion, it was grati­fied. At this time the fort of Melgarha* in Berār was taken. Mas'aūd K. Ḥābshī held it. He also took Sika (?)* Jalgāon by craft. First he sent his family inside, and by that pretence conveyed some people thither, and so prevailed over it. Prince Sulān Murād sent Sundar Dās with some men. He invested it. On the 19th the garrison capitulated, and delivered up the keys. In this year Walī* Beg, the son of Payinda K., came from Bengal, and was exalted by doing homage. Part of his peshkash (offering) was twenty-two choice elephants.

One of the occurrences was the conquest of Narnāla.* Hamān,* a native of Zanẓībar, held it. He did not accept the persuasions of the enlightened. By the exertions of Rai Gopāl, Dangar* K. Gond took the side of concord, and some members of the families of the garrison, who had come out, were seized. He became helpless and made his submission. When the prince came out to see the spec­tacle of Gārwīl, he passed by that fort (Narnāla), and the governor came out and paid his respects. On the 20th he made it over to the imperial servants. It has few equals for height, strength, capacious­ness and quantity of buildings. The Prince went to the top of it, and from there returned to Shāhpūr. On this day the fort of Mānpūr was taken. Mīrzā K. (the Khān-khānān) had invested it for some time, but as he made no special efforts, the Prince recalled him, and sent Naẕar K. with some men. Zangū Nānū, Haibat Rāo, 'Alī K., Garz Rai and others, several times came out and fought, 747 but from want of provisions they capitulated.

On the 21st H.M. crossed the Sutlej at Lūdhīāna on an elephant, and the troops crossed by a bridge. Next day M. Shāhrukh did homage. An order had been sent, summoning him, and on 1 Shāh­rīyūr he took leave from Prince Sulān Murād. On the 26th H.M. halted at Sirhind. Abū S'aīd the collector there had long since built* some houses there. He begged for H.M.'s visit, and he accepted and came there at the close of the day. When it became known that he had built them with oppression, H.M. did not remain there long, and though his tents had not been set up, and the night was dark, he went off, and reposed in the fields.* Next morning he visited the delightful gardens, and practised both pleasure and piety (shrat-u-'ibādat). On this day Calabī* Beg paid his respects, and was favourably received. His ancestors were the chief men of Tabrīz. In early youth he devoted himself to learning. In Qazwīn he studied with Khwāja Afẓal Turk, who was the unique of the age for intellect—in Shīrāz he studied with M. Jān, who had few equals in philosophy, and acquired much knowledge. When his abilities and his princely lineage were made known to H.M., an order was sent for him to come, together with many presents. He obtained his desires at this seat of dominion, but afterwards old age and love for his home took him back again.

One of the occurrences was the remitting of [the increase of] the ten to twelve to the Panjab. When Lahore was for some time the seat of government, the imperial officers increased the govern­ment share* in the proportion of ten to twelve on account of the high prices. When it appeared that by the departure of the auspicious standards, prices returned to their former level, the just sovereign remitted the increase, and small and great were much relieved. On 4 Dai Ḥaidarī the son of the Khān-khānān* was burnt. He fell asleep in the serai after drinking, a fire arose and on account of insensibility he could not get out. On the 5th, M. Moaffar* Ḥusain (Akbar's son-in-law) came from Qanauj and obtained his wish by doing homage. As it appeared that from drink­ing he did not follow the path of justice, he was summoned to the presence to be warned. On the 7th Māh Bānū the sister of the Khān Ā'im M. Koka died. She was wife of the Khān-khānān, and was distinguished for intellect and purity. Her illness increased in Ambāla, and she was left behind there. The two officers took leave for some days, and in that month and year she died. H.M. was grieved, and interceded for her pardon. On the 8th Rus­tum M. was wounded while hunting. The hawk* belonging to the son of Rai Sāl sate on a tree. The Mīrzā's companions seized it and some Rajputs fought. The Mīrzā went there to quiet matters. Suddenly he was struck on the arm with a sword. He had the 748 intelligence to send the misconducted ones to Rai Sāl. The far-seeing sovereign praised him for his endurance and humanity. On the 19th Abū-l-Qāsim Namakīn received Bhakkar* in fief, and was sent off to guard it. On this day S. Sulān* was hanged. He was one of the learned. The desire of a collectorship made him mad. Thāneswar, which was his home, was made over to him. Owing to the intoxication of the world, he renewed his old grudges and set himself to hurt the good. When H.M. came there, the circum­stance was mentioned, and some of his tyranny was proved. He obtained the punishment of his deeds. On the 19th H.M. encamped at Delhi. Next day the desire* of S. Farīd Bakhshī Begī was granted. There was an offering of shkash and scattering of money. Some of them were accepted (by H.M.). From thence he went by boat to the tomb of Jannat (Humāyūn) Āshiyānī, and paid the tribute of respect to the jewel of greatness. At this time the government of Delhi was made over to Mīr 'Abdu-l-Wahhāb Bokhārī. As it appeared that Shāham K. had made over the city to some avaricious people, and lived himself at his ease, while the weak were subjected to injustice, he was removed and censured. The Saiyid* was brought out from retirement and appointed to this service, and raised to the rank of 500.