When M. 'Alī Beg Akbar Shāhī prevailed, the Niāmu-l-Mulkīyān made in revenge a new plan (paimān). Khudāwand K., Ḥamīd K., 'Abdu-l-fattāḥ, Azhdar K., Jamāl K., Dastūr K., and others collected 10,000 men and nearly eighty elephants, and re- 715 solved upon battle. Though the imperial troops did not amount to 3000, yet, on the encouraging words of their general, they set their hearts on fighting. In the centre were Ṣādiq K., Sanwal Dās, Muḥammad Jān Beg, Maulānā Maḥmūdī, and other brave men. In the right wing were M. Khan, Saiyid Bāyazīd, 'Izzat K., Malik Rādhan and others. Shāh Qulī and āhir Aurganjī were on the flank, and on the left wing were I'tibār and others. In the van­guard were M. 'Alī Beg, Dost (s. Ṣādiq) and others. Mīr Ḥusainī and others were the archers (uqcīgarī).* They prepared for battle, 40 kos from Maḥkar, and halted 8 kos from Pāthrī on the bank of the Bān* Ganga. Having that river in front, and a stream behind, they had a strong position for their camp. On 7 Āẕar, 17 November, 1596, they drew up their forces and set their hearts on fighting. First, Khudāwand K. with 5,000 horse and 40 elephants fought in the van. M. 'Alī Beg displayed masterpieces of battle with a few men, and defeated them. Dost,* and Saiyid Lād and Ḥasan* showed valour and fell wounded. The right wing* on account of the numbers of foe turned back without fighting. Ṣādiq K. was keeping the stream in front of him, and observing the jugglery of the heavens. A large body of the enemy attacked him. He stood firm and used guns and muskets. By the Divine aid victory showed her countenance. Many of the wicked (enemy) were killed, and much plunder was obtained. Among this were forty chosen ele­phants. Of the victorious army none were killed except some obscure men.

On the 18th Qulīj K. came to court. He came to make his excuses as he had not managed well in Tīrāh, and H.M. had not approved of him. On the 23rd Ḥusain Beg, S. 'Umrī was sent off to Bangash, and the development of that country and the punishment of the Tārīkīs were made over to him. At this time a choice ship was made. On the first* occasion there had been much difficulty in launching on account of the deficiency of water. It occurred to H.M. that it should be built on the top of a large boat which could carry 15,000 mans and more, and it was easily brought to the station. It was begun on 24 Tīr and finished on the 28th Àẕar. Its length was 37 yards. Rs. 16,338 were spent on it. It was safely conveyed to Bandar Lāhārī. The spectators were astonished.

On 5 Dai Māmā Aghā* died. She was the widow of Shihābu-d-dīn Aḥmad K., and had led a good life. As she was related to Miriam Makānī H.M. went in the morning to her (Miriam-Makānī his mother) holy abode and administered consolation. From hence he crossed the Rāvī and came to the Ahūkhāna (Deer-Park). He intended to spend the night there. He* hurt his hand somewhat, and returned to the city. On the 11th he sent Shāham K. back to Qanauj and gave him valuable instructions.

One of the occurrences was the submission of Lacsmī* Narain. He was the ruler of Kūc (Bihar). It has 4,000 horse, 200,000 infan­try, 700 elephants, and one thousand war-boats. It is a populous country: its length is 200 kos, and its breadth 40 to 100 kos. On the east is the river Brahmaputra, on the north is Lower Tibet and Assam, and on the south Ghorāghāt. On the west is Tirhut. A hundred* years before this a pious woman was praying in the temple of Jalpesh* —which is dedicated to Mahādev—and prayed for a son who should become a ruler. By God's help she became pregnant and bore a son. He received the name of Bīsā* and obtained the government of that country. His grandson Māl Gosain possessed much enlightenment, and was adorned with excellent qualities. By virtue of spiritual senses he got some idea of the greatness of H.M. and composed an address in praise of the Shāh-inshāh and sent it together with choice goods to the sacred court. He always gathered auspiciousness by supplications (to Akbar). He lived in a disengaged manner, and refrained from marriage. At fifty years of age he nominated his brother's son the Pātkunwar as his successor. His eldest* brother Shukl-gosain expressed a wish that he (Māl Gosain) should marry, and the latter out of love to him consented. He had a son to whom he gave the name of Lacmī Narain. When he died, the kingdom came to him (Lacmī Narain). The Pātkunwar raised the head of rebellion, and by the help of 'Isā had some suc­cess. At this time Lacmī Narain petitioned H.M. and through Rajah Mān Singh requested that he might be associated with eternal dominion. The Rajah (Mān Singh) hastened from Salīm­nagar to Anandapūr (?). Lacsmī Narain received him at a distance of forty kos. On 13 Dai they embraced on horseback* (?) and there was a banquet of friendship. Afterwards the Rajah went to his quarters, thinking that he would then treat the chief with honour. On the way he observed that the latter was distressed and so he dismissed him with respect. After some time he (the chief) gave* his sister to the Rajah.

717 The ruler of Kūc did not pay his respects to the Ḥākim (gover­nor) of Bengal, and Sulaimān Kararānī proceeded to make war upon him, and returned after failure.

At this time Multan was given in fief to the Khān Ā'im. As he wanted to make amends for his former misconduct (in going to Mecca) he asked to have a fief near the court. His request was granted. On the 26th Rai Rai Singh was admitted to an audience. One of his favourite servants practised* oppression. H.M. called for an explanation. That wicked one was for some time excluded from performing the kornish as he kept the matter concealed and reported that the servant had fled. H.M. now remembered his former gra­ciousness to him and sent him to the Deccan. Sorath was included in his fief with the idea that he might awake from his somnolence, and redeem his misconduct. That slumbrous-witted one remained some time in his home in Bīkānīr, and some time he spent on the road. Though counsels were given to him, they were not effectual. Ṣalāḥu-d-dīn was sent to him to tell him that if he did not hasten to his employment, he should return to court. He was obliged to come, and as he had no proper answer to give for his waywardness, he was for some time not granted permission to appear at court. On this day his bewilderment was forgiven, and he was allowed to perform the kornish. The star of his fortune shone anew. On the 29th the rank of M. Shāhrukh was increased. A grant of land (tankhwāh) was made to him on the scale* of 5,000 personality and half that number of (extra) troopers. Ujjain and other choice places of Mālwa were taken from Shahbāz K. and included in Shah­rukh's fief. And as he was with the army of the Deccan, Amīr Kalān Badakhshī was sent (to Mālwa) to restrain the agents of the former jāgirdār (Shahbāz K.).

At this time each day of the week was assigned to a particular task. The sovereign always walked warily and kept an account (awāranawīsī) of his life. In accordance with the increase of busi­ness he every now and then made a fresh division. On 4 Bahman he fixed Sunday for the inspection of horses, Monday for the inspec­tion of the camels, mules and bullocks. Tuesday for inspecting soldiers, Wednesday for the business of the Viziership, Thursday for dispensing justice, Friday for receiving the good, Saturday for the elephant-stables. The works mentioned were first performed and then others were done. On the 5th Rai Rai Singh was sent to the Deccan. Perhaps he would make amends for his misconduct and get fresh honour. On the 7th Rānā Kīkā* died. Apparently Umrā, his wicked son, poisoned his food. He had also hurt himself in bending a stiff bow.