They set up a spacious tent.
They made the ground a star-spangled heaven.
On all sides they put screens round the courtyard.
They gave to the curtain new moonlight.

On the eve of 8 Tīr (18 June, 1596) the nuptials were celebrated in the dwelling of Miriam Makānī, and the jewel of chastity was conveyed to the harem.

One of the occurrences was the capture of the fort of Busna. 711 Owing to the neglect of the custodians it had again fallen into the hands of the Afghans, and become a source of increased presump­tion. Rajah Mān Singh sent a chosen force thither under the charge of Durjan Singh. Sulaimān and Kedar* Rai strengthened the fort and set themselves to fight. The victorious troops invested the fort, and every day there were great combats. On the 10th (Tīr) a gun burst inside the fort, and Sulaīmān and many others were killed. Kedār was wounded, and fell. As he was helpless, he fled and took shelter with 'Isā.

On this day Bikramājīt the grandson of Rajah Rām Cand was exalted by doing homage. When his father died, wicked men made this youth the instrument of their own ends, and thinking that they would be sheltered at Bāndhū,* set about evil schemes. When Rai Patr Dās was sent, he by ability and courage took possession of much territory. The garrison craftily asked that one of the great men of the court should take them by the hand and bring them to court. H.M. consented and by his orders Ism'aīl Qulī K. brought them, and they received suitable favours.

One of the occurrences was the victory of the army of the Deccan. When Ṣādiq K. took up his quarters in Mahkar, and Berār recovered somewhat from its distracted state, Azhdar K., 'Aīn K., Ḥabīb K. and other Deccanīs rose up to make a disturbance. A chosen force under the command of M. 'Alī Beg Akbarshāhī went to put matters right. On the 12th he suddenly fell upon 'Ain K.'s camp and inflicted chastisement. He escaped with a few companions in a bewildered state, and much plunder was obtained. Some unquiet spirits came by a secret path upon them, but were defeated after a short struggle. Dancing* and singing women elephants, etc., were obtained. On the 16th Tolak K. died in Bengal. He was an old servant. On the 20th S'aīd K. was sent off to Behar after receiving many instructive advices. On the eve of the 22nd there was a feast of reason. Suddenly there were clouds and it came on to rain. H.M. said, “Be gentle, O rain, and do not cause the dispersion of this spiritual banquet. Soon the air became clear, and there was wonderful stillness. Everywhere else it rained heavily, but it kept away from the palace.

At this time H.M. had compassion on the simplicity of M. Moaffar Ḥusain Qandahārī. He from self-indulgence and care­lessness left his work to greedy oppressors. Several times the tenants of his fiefs and some traders came to obtain redress. Advice 712 had no effect on him. He got disgusted with daily adminis­tration and begged permission to go to the Ḥījāz. It was granted, and after some time he repented and sate down in bewilderment. On the 24th H.M. recognised his dignity and recalled him, and granted him new favours. On the 27th M. Kokạ produced a plank to H.M. and said that at the time of splitting it a green animal came out from the middle of it. Shortly afterwards it died. In order that it might show how it was he had put it back again. H.M. said, when things come to life in an elephant's tusks, and on stones, what is wonderful in their doing so in a plank which is somewhat softer, but men are astonished at nothing except what they seldom see. On the 31st M. Rustum was sent to the northern hills. As Bāsū and some landholders had wickedly raised the head of disobedience, the Mīrzā was given Pathān (Pathānkot) and its neighbourhood in fief and sent off there. Āṣaf K., Hāshim Beg and many others went to help him. On the 11th Amardād Rām Cand was sent to Berār. When the misbehaviour of the soldiers of the south was represented to H.M., and it also appeared that Shah­bāz K. with the Mālwa army had gone off to his fief without the Prince's permission, and that one lakh of muhars which had been sent for the equipment of the army had remained in Gwaliyar on account of the insecurity of the roads, that good servant was sent off in order to convey the treasure under a proper guard, and also to recall the Mālwa troops, and to give them counsels. At this rainy season, high and low were disquieted by the small amount of rain. On the 12th rain fell at the intercession of H.M. and withered hearts were refreshed. On this day Muḥammad Beg and his son āhir Beg arrived from Persia, and had an audience. They claimed to be descended from the poet Khwaja Shamsu-d-din Muḥammad (Ḥāfi). They also knew something about divination (jafar). H.M. thought of the expedition to the Deccan and asked (them ?) for an augury.

This verse came out.


March, march, march away.
March for you'll be victorious.

One* of the occurrences was the mishap of an accident to the holy personality. By the divine protection it ended well. On the night of the 18th (Amardād, 28th July, 1596) H.M. had a deer-fight. Men looked on from a distance.* Suddenly a deer ran and butted him with his horns. That athlete seized the horns, and though he fell, he did not relinquish his hold. One of the testicles was lacerated, and blood flowed. That strong-souled one did not regard it but continued to attend to the work of government. On the 7th day the injury* became serious, and the swelling increased. On account of the diversity of opinion among the physicians, the treat­ment was not decided upon, and the pain momentarily increased. After much discussion the case was left to Ḥakīm Miṣrī and Ḥakīm 'Alī. The application of the medicine was left to the writer of the book of fortune. Shaikh Bīnā1* and Shaikh Hansū his son did good service in putting on the plasters and in opening and tying the bandages. Though the illness lasted one month* and twenty-two days, yet there were twenty-nine days which passed with difficulty. Though out of prudence he every day held public audiences, there arose great commotion, and the market of strifemongers and busy bodies became brisk. High and low were in a state of consternation. For seven days he did not go to the privy, and small and great became still more discomposed. On the eleventh day leeches were applied, and there were signs of improvement. On 24th Shahrīyūr M. Yūsuf K. arrived from Jaunpūr, and was exalted by royal favours. On this day Fatḥ Ullah the sharbatdār (butler) was sent to the Deccan, and 500 Aḥadīs went with him. On 7th Mihr the holy form bathed, and there was a great festival.


There was a feast such as
The young had not beheld in dreams.
'Twas not a feast, but a picture of sky and stars—
An assemblage of the beauties of the seven worlds.

There were various forms of liberality and the world had new joy. Many prisoners were released, and ancient desires were gratified. The attainment of desires increased the thankfulness of every one. Misfortune did not cause him to abandon graciousness, and he civilised the world by justice and liberality, and took into consideration the happiness of every one. Such an inquiry cannot be considered as a retribution, nor as a message of warning, though this may not appear so wonderful to those who believe that after the body has decayed, the soul assumes fresh forms. As the changes in the method of Divine Government are not understood by every farseeing one—what can be the case with the superficial?—the searchings of heart diminished somewhat. Apparently (the cause of the accident) was to increase men's devotion and love. The illness disconcerted small and great, and they wished to give their lives and property in exchange for the world's lord.

On the 15th Qāẓī Nūr Ullah was sent to make inquiries into the tenures (sayūrghāl)* of the province of Agra, and an order was given that new land should be given to the necessitous. On the 26th H.M. mounted on horseback and gathered delight in Bāgh Dilāwez. He spent the night with pleasure in the Deer-house. At the end of that day the great lady of the family of chastity, the mother of Prince Sulṭān Daniel, died. Next day an old servant of the harem of fortune died. H.M. after making his supplications to God adopted resignation, and begged forgiveness for them. On the 28th he returned to his palace. On this day the wife of the Prince Royal, who was the daughter of the ruler of Khāndes, died.

One of the occurrences was the failure of 'Īsāk. When Rajah 714 Mān Singh took up his quarters in Ghorāghāt after the commence­ment of the rains he fell very ill, and experienced physicians began to despair of his life. 'Īsā and M'āṣūm K. Kābulī and other scoundrels came out to fight. They had come to within twelve kos, and the imperialists were prepared to give battle. By the wondrous working of fortune there was little rain and the river fell. With a great deal of difficulty they got away, and had much trouble in moving their boats. When the Rajah got well, he sent a choice army under Himmat Singh to punish them. The scoundrels got away from the interior of the country and came to Kinārā Sindur, and there rested. When the victorious troops approached, some in their confusion lost their lives, and much plunder was taken.

In this year* kitchens were established in every city. There was a deficiency of rain this year, and high prices threw a world into distress. In the beginning of the year a comet (ẕūẕūāba) appeared, and astrologers predicted that there would be dryness and scarcity. The gracious sovereign appointed able men to every place to give food duly to the necessitous. Petitioners constantly came before H.M., and had their desires gratified. Similarly numbers of beggars were made over to rich people (khwāstadārān.)(?)

On 2 Ābān the solar weighment took place and H.M. was weighed against twelve articles. Numbers of men had their desires gratified. On the 10th, which was a feast day, a Turānī farāsh (carpet-sweeper, etc.) lifted up (barkashīd) two camels with their loads, and astonished the spectators. On this day Shāham came from his fief and was exalted by royal favours.

The idea was that Rustum M. should be sent to guard Gujarat, and that Shāham should accompany him as guardian (atālīq) so that Prince Murād might gather enjoyment by the royal favour, and the near neighbourhood of his son (Rustum). But the idea was not carried out. At this time saffron flowered in Begrām.* H.M. recog­nized that that country was suitable for this crop, and sent seeds to Takhta Beg. On the 11th he learnt that they had sprouted and bloomed. On this day M. Yūsuf obtained leave to go to Gujarat. He obtained a fief in that quarter and was sent there in order that he might assist the army of the Deccan.