He always talked about service, but his acts did not balance his words. He did not have the august khuba* recited except in the presence of the envoys, and he became foolish from self-willed thoughts. When the Khān Ā'am went to conquer the Deccan, he and other rebellious Deccanīs fought with him, and gravely repented of this afterwards. He was continually in fear and was seeking for means of escape. When the Maliku'sh-shu'arā Shaikh Abū-l-faiẓ Faiẓī went to give him advice, he emerged from his bewilderment, and when the Shāhinshāh's expedition for the conquest of the Deccan took place, he acquired fresh wisdom. His envoys were summoned to the Presence and his fears were removed by oaths and promises. When Prince Sulān Murād struck his tents in order to proceed from Guja­rāt to the Deccan, and Shāhrukh M., the Khān-khānān, Shahbāz K. and other Mālwa officers proceeded with him, he had the auspicious idea of taking precautionary measures, and made an offer of his services. On the 27th he waited upon Shāhrukh M. and other imperial officers at the distance of thirty kos from Burhānpūr. The officers received him with cordiality, and by H. M.'s orders increased his territories by Nadarbār.

On this day Akbarnagar was founded. When Rājah Mān Sīngh was in Bengal he considered about a seat of government which could to some extent be safe from an attack* by boats. After much inquiry a place was found near Ākmaḥal (Rājmahal). Apparently Sher K. had approved of it. The foundation was laid in a fortunate hour, and in a short time there was a choice city, to which the glorious name was given. At this time much of 'Īsā's territory came into posses­sion. On the 27th Āẕar Rājah Mān Singh led a force thither from the new city. The enemy not seeing themselves able to resist, crossed the Brahmaputra, and abandoned all this side of the river. On account of the approach of the rains the Rājah encamped in Sherpur, Hurra (in Maimansingh), and there built a fort which he called Salīmnagar. Also at this time the fort of Kākrūyiā* was taken. The zamīndār of it applied for help to Quṭbu-l-Mulk Deccanī (of Golconda), and Durjin Singh with some brave man was sent there. In a short time the zamīndār was punished and his house taken.

One of the events was the punishment of the Kākar tribe (an Afghān tribe). On account of wickedness and of the strength of their country they for a long time tormented the weak, and closed the road to Qandahār. In the beginning of Dai, Shāh Beg K. went off to punish them, and a great battle took place. Strong stockades were destroyed, and many were killed. Some fled, and some sub­mitted. On 3rd Dai Rājah Sūraj Singh received favours and was sent to guard Gujarāt which was somewhat bare of troops. On the 16th the wardrobe was submitted for inspection. On seeing a coat (jāmah) H.M. said, “It seems that this is Ikhlās K.'s,” who had been one of the eunuchs* of Jannat A shiyānī (Humāyūn) and from great service had been made an Amīr, and had died 17 years before this. Many simple-minded persons made inquiries, and the old register showed that the statement was true. Also a merchant brought, by the august orders, all his horses for inspection by H.M., in order that he might choose the best. H.M. said, “It seems that with one exception* they are not his.” On a little inquiry this was found to be the case. A slave represented that he was called Balbal, and that this grieved him. H.M. gave him the name of Balkarn. He rubbed his head on the ground and said, “My mother and father called me by this name.” A separate volume would be required to describe the intuition into mysteries of the “gift of God.” The subject cannot be disposed of in a subsidiary narrative. On the 11th Bahman he, at the request of Zain K. Koka, visited his house and gave it fresh glory. He tendered 170 elephants as a present but only some were accepted.

At this time H.M. directed that an expedition should go to the Deccan As the hauteur* of the Prince and the duplicity of the officers were impressed upon him, and as unpleasant reports arrived one after the other, he determined to proceed thither. Though many courtiers from avarice and interested motives spoke against his going, their opposition was without effect. On the 21st the advance-camp was sent on. By wondrous fate there was some rain on that day. The Indian astrologers represented that whenever the sun was in one of the latter four signs and there was some rain, the despatch of the advance-camp should be postponed to another hour. After that there was heavy rain. On the eve of the 27th the throne-occupant himself came out. His idea was that if the rain lessened he would proceed on. On that day, after hunting, he alighted in the village of Bahāī Khān. Rain and hail increased every day. Though the clouds did not cease to send down rain, he every day enjoyed hunting. He turned back near Rām Tīrthā when thirteen kos off. On the 5th Isfandārmaz he by one march reached Lahore.