On account of the delightful climate and of its adaptation to H.M., his idea had been to spend the winter in Kashmīr, but from consideration of the fact that the high price of food incommoded high and low, and of the severe cold making life difficult for the inhabitants of hot countries, he resolved to leave the country. He 627 wished to make over the territory to M. Yūsuf K., but the latter again was eloquent about the question of the revenue. By the won­ders of fortune the (papers of the) assessment which Qāẓī* 'Alī had made, was found, and the representations of the Mīrza's confidant were proved. The Mīrzā felt ashamed for not having accepted (the increased revenue). H.M. in accordance with his first idea made Kashmīr crown-land (khālṣa) and entrusted it to Khwāja Shamsu-d-dīn, and assigned him 3,000 cavalry. When the holy heart turned away from the country, he on 20* Ābān, 31 October 1592, embarked on a boat, and went off to India. The army went by land. On that day he halted at Andarkūl. There was the dwelling of M. Ḥaidar there, which was a grand building and a memorial of him. At the request of Prince Sulān Selīm, Kashmīr was given in fief to M. Yūsuf K., and he was sent off there. The jāgīr in India* (of M. Yūsuf?), the saffron, the silk and the game, were made khālṣa. Other increases were remitted. On 23 Ābān he came to the Wular* lake. He obtained information about the marvels of that tract. It is an extensive reservoīr. Its circumference is twenty kos, and the river Bihat flows through it, and hastens on to India. Sulān Zainu-d-dīn erected,* after great difficulty, a stone platform (ṣaffa) in it, 119 yards long, and 82 broad. Upon that he built choice mansions as a memorial of himself. Afterwards other rulers erected buildings there. A high wind always blows there, and boats encounter storms. On this occasion H.M.'s advent made the water calm. High and low were delighted. At dawn the tents were pitched at Bārahmūla. Though for two months no day had passed on which some soldiers did not get furlough to India, there was still a large army. H.M. chose out of the seven sets of guards some men as his companions, and appointed active and energetic men to the remainder in order that each party after the other might, after a suitable interval, march off. On 3 Āẕar, 13 November 1592, while the camp was at Paklī, it rained (snowed ?) the whole night, and snow gathered round the camp. The advance-tents could not proceed. H.M. went off on horseback to select a suitable camping ground. As a fitting place was not found, he left the household behind and went on quickly with some companions. In the course of the journey it came on to rain and snow. He halted in the village of Mānglī* (?) which is a dependency of Paklī. For a long while it snowed heavily, and high and low were astonished. One month before this, when it was very cold, and the Indians were apprehensive of its snowing, H.M. said, “I hope* that when we pass Paklī, and get sight of India, the fall of snow will afford delight, and that the inhabitants of warm coun­tries will not be disconcerted, but will enjoy the spectacle.” His prescience was manifested, and the lamp of guidance was kindled. In the morning the wind rose. He went forward, and on that day he halted for a while at Damtour at the request of M. Shahrukh's* son whose home was there. On the 7th he hastened on so rapidly 628 that he passed Rāwal Pindī, Rabā,* Nagarkot, Thāna and Serai Carwa (?). He traversed a difficult hill and near Serai Har (?) rested for a while on the top of a hillock. On the way Ṣādiq K. was exalted by doing homage. At the beginning of the expedition he had fallen ill, and had been sent back to Lahore. When he got better he proceeded towards Kashmīr. Unexpectedly he had this blessing (of meeting Akbar). His son Yār,* and Rām Sāh, had the honour of kissing the threshold. He had obtained leave in order that he might tame Rajah Madhkar and this proprietor (Rām Sāh ?) and convoy them to Mālwa to the Prince (Murād), and might free those frightened savages from their consternation. The land­owners got new life from these royal favours and came forward with supplications. The Rajah, though he was ill, intended to come also, but died of his illness. He (Ṣādiq) brought his son Rām Sāh to Ujjaīn, and from thence to court. He was received with favour. As the camp of Ṣādīq K. was set up, he expressed a wish that the sovereign would spend the night there. When evening came, H.M. sent him away in order that he might come slowly after him, and himself set off. The Prince Royal and other servants begged that he would take some repose in a litter. He did not agree. In a night and a day he travelled 22 kos. On the 8th he unexpectedly cast the shadow of his graciousness over Rohtās—where the ladies were. Crowds of men, who were going to Kashmīr (?), had the pleasure of doing homage. Prince Daniel and Sulan Khusrū illuminated their foreheads by paying their respects near the city (Rohtās).