There have always been independent rulers in this country. Among them there was formerly Partāb Deo. His son Narsingh Deo* out of wickedness rose up against his father, and lulled him into care­lessness by the repeating of charms. When he got an opportunity, he poisoned him and acquired eternal death. About that time Mūkund* Deo had come from Telingāna, and entered into the service of the Rajah. He was indignant on beholding this wickedness, and resolved upon vengeance. He represented that his wife was coming to pay a visit* (to the Rajah) and filled litters (dolīs) with arms and sent them off. He also put presents and goods into the hands of skilful and courageous men, and entered the fort. Inasmuch as a parricide does not last long, the latter was soon disposed of, and the sovereignty went to another. It was not the custom that the Rajah should use the accumulations of his predecessors. This one (Mukund) broke the locks of seventy old treasuries and seized upon the deposits of so many of the departed. Though he opened the hand of liber­ality, yet he turned away from obedience to wisdom, and indulged in self-gratification. At the time when Sikandar Uzbeg turned away from eternal fortune, and went to Sulaimān Kararānī, the latter sent his son Bayāzīd on an expedition against that country (Orissa) by way of Jhārkhand, and dispatched Sikandar along with him. The Rajah, yielding to self-indulgence, sent two chosen officers Jihata Rai* and Durgā Panj, with a well-equipped force, to make war. Those ingrates corrupted the officers of the army by gold and turned to attack their own master by the help of the slaves of gold. Hot engagements ensued, and the Rajah surrendered himself to failure and submitted to Bayāzīd. With his aid, a severe conflict took* place, and the Rajah and Jihata Rai manfully yielded up their lives. The government fell into the hands of Durgā Punj. Sulai­mān by stratagem got possession of his person and put him to death, and became supreme over the country. Though in the time of Mun'im K. Khān-Khānān and Khānjahān, much of this country was added to the empire, yet from divided thought, and the ignorance of officers, Qutlū Loḥānī prevailed over it. Owing to his foxiness no harm ensued to him. When he died, Rajah Mān Singh ignorantly 611 made peace. Though H.M.'s far-seeing mind disapproved of it, yet it was they who broke the treaty.

When the time of retribution arrives for an evil-doer, he exerts himself for his own destruction. So long as Khwāja 'Īsā, Qutlū's Vakīl, lived, the thread of treaty was not let slip. When he died, the wicked Afghans laid hold of the temple of the worship of Jagannāth, and opened the hand of plunder against the country of Ḥamīr,* who had for a long time been obedient (to Akbar). Rajah Mān Singh, who repented of the peace he had made, resolved to conquer the country, and obtained leave from the court. He chose the soldiers of Behar and Bengal for this enterprise. On 23 Ābān of the previous year, the Rajah set off by the route of the river. Tolak K., Farkh K., Ghāzī K. Maidānī, Mīr Qāsim Badakhshī, Rai Bhoj, Sangrām Singh, Akkar Pancānan, Catar Sen, Bhūpat Singh, Barkhūrdār, and other warriors went by land. Mādhū, Lakhī Rai Koka, Pūran Mal Kaidhūrih, Rūp Narain Sīsodiah and some land­holders went off by the route of Jhārkand under the charge of Yūsuf K., the ruler of Kashmīr. When the victorious troops came to Bengal, S'aīd K. the governor of that country was ill. The Rajah moved onwards, and when S'aīd K. got well, he joined with Makhṣūṣ K., Pahār* K., āhir K., Bābūī Manklī, Khwāja Bāqar Anṣārī, Makhdūmzāda the son of Tarson K., M. Muḥammad Dīwāna, and other fief-holders of that country, together with 6000 men and 500 horse. Much of that country came into possession. The wicked Afghans broached the subject of a peace. Inasmuch as to try experiments when one has had experience does not accord with fore­sight, they did not give ear to this, but reproached them for their breach of treaties. But the view of the Bengal officers was for peace. The wicked and black-thoughted Afghans surrounded themselves with a stream at the forest of Malnāpūr* (?), which is in the middle of Orissa, and took their stand to fight. On account of the talk about peace and war, there was no proper drawing-up of forces. The Bengal army settled down at some distance, but among them, Makhṣūṣ K., Pahār* K., āhir K. and Bābūī Manklī advanced their camp somewhat. The Bihar soldiers prepared for battle. Rajah Mān Singh was in the centre; on the right wing were Rai Bhoj, Rajah Sangrām, Bāqir K.; on the left wing were Tolak K., and Farrakh K.; in the vanguard were Darjan Singh, Sujān Singh, Sabal Singh, Nūram Koka, Mīr Qāsim Badakhshī, Barkhūrdār, Shibabu-d-dīn Kūr, the sons of Ulugh K. Ḥabshī, Moaffar Ījī, Khwājagī 'Inayāt Ullah. Every day some active men on each side fought and the presumptuous foe fled in disgrace. On 31 Farwardīn the Rajah sent off his vanguard, to take an eminence (sarkob)* which 612 was near the enemy, and to proceed to build a fort. If the enemy meant to fight, they should engage him, and he (the Rajah) would join them. The enemy were astonished at this, and drew up their forces and crossed the river. In the centre were Naṣīb K., and Jamāl K., (who were) the sons of Qutlū, Dilāwar K., Allahdād K., Ḥabīb K., with 3000 horse and 25 elephants. On the right wing were Jalāl K., Khāṣa Khel, Tātār K. Ghāzī, Mubārak K., Khwāja Wais with 2000 horse and 25 elephants. On the left wing were Bahādur Kūrūh, Sher K. Lohānī, Ḥabīb K. with 3400 horse and 25 elephants. In the vanguard were Khwāja Sulaimān, 'Umān, 'Īsā K. Aulīyāī, Banī Sulān Sūr with 1200 horse and 80 elephants. In a short time the two forces met, and shields and daggers were abundant (lit. had a day-market).


Eager heroes sunk in coats of mail,
Like fire hidden in iron vessels.
Sons of India clad in steel,
Like black clouds, raged and burned.

Some strove with guns and other firearms, and some grappled with one another and gave a new form to courage. The victorious soldiers struck off heads* with their shining swords, as maces and clubs were not of service. Cannon-balls at the commencement killed the elephant Mīyān Loharī* which was the chief of the enemy's elephants, together with other elephants. The latter then brought forward the elephant Kunhar* —which was very famous—and the brave soldiers displayed masterpieces of valour. Mīr Jamshed Badakhshī fought and bravely gave up his life. The elephant caused some confusion, but the archers came up on every side with arrows. The driver was killed, and some men dismounted and lamed the elephant and seized it. Meanwhile Bahādur Kūrūh prevailed over Farrakh K. Rai Bhoj and Rajah Sangrām hastened to his assistance. Jagat Singh and some brave men joined Durjan Singh, and drove off the foe. At this time, the enemy's right wing con­tended with the soldiers of Bengal. Bābūī Manklī fought, but had to give ground. Pahār* K. came behind him and fought nobly. Twice he fell to the ground. The second time a young man offered him his own horse. He replied, You have not yet had the fruit of your life. Mount your horse, and rejoice. It is better for me, who have come to the end of my life, to die in combat in my master's service. By good hap his horse (bāragī)* came up and he was saved by Divine help. Makhṣūṣ K. came forward well, and did great deeds. The foot of courage was nearly slipping, when Khwāja 'Abdu-l-ḥalīm came with a force, and there was victory. Khwāja Wais fell bravely, and Sulān Sūr was made prisoner. In a short time, in consequence of the Divine aid, the rebels fled with blistered 613 feet. More than 300 Afghans fell on the field of battle, and forty of victorious army.

At this time Zain K. Koka expressed a wish that H.M. should visit his quarters again. On 3 Ardībihisht, his desire was gratified, and that good servant obtained his heart's wish. In the beginning of Khurdād H.M. crossed the Rāvī with the intention of proceeding to Kashmīr. As Shakranisā Begam (Akbar's daughter) became very ill, H.M. took a dislike to the city, and went out with this intention. When God quickly sent convalescence, he returned at the desire of high and low. On the 2nd, Zain K. Koka was dispatched to Swād and Bajaur. News came that the turbulent Afghans had again thought their difficult mountains a protection, and were meditating rebellion. The Kokaltāsh was appointed to chastise them. On the 4th, after the lapse of ten hours four minutes, a daughter was born in the harem of Prince Sulān Daniel by the daughter of Sulān Khwāja. H.M. gave her the name of S'aādat* Bānū Begam.