When the Khān-Khānān invested the fort, provisions became very dear on account of its being a foreign country, and of the closing of the roads, and the position of the soldiers became somewhat difficult. They were compelled to abandon the siege on 27 Dai of the previous year. All unnecessary* stores were put into boats and sent to Sehwān. Saiyid Bahāu-d-dīn, Bakhtiyār Beg, Qarā Beg, and others were sent with them as guards. Most of the soldiers marched towards Tatta in order that by plundering they might get ampler supplies, and also spread consternation among the enemy, and get hold of the country. The Khān-Khānān took up his quarters in Jūn,* which is a central place. Shāh Beg K., Muḥammad K. Niy­āzī, Qāsim Koka, Murtaẓā Qulī, Dād Māl, Dūda Beg and others were sent to Agham* in order that they might take that cultivated coun­try and watch over M. Jānī. Dhārū Bahādur,* Khān Qūrdār and others were sent towards Badīn.* M. Farīdūn Birlās, Jānish Bahā­dur, 'Alī Mardān Bahādur, Sarmadī, Ghāzī K. Bilūc went off towards Tatta. Every band went to a certain tract, and had repose. The enemy were somewhat disturbed on account of their families, and many of the landowners submitted. Every detachment did good ser­vice, but the troops who were sent to Tatta could not get there as the wicked people set fire to the city. M. Farīdūn and Rāwal Bḥīm* and some others were sent to 'Umarkot, and made fitting inquiry into the previous slackness of service (of the Rānā ?). M. Jānī Beg came out of his fort and hastened to Sehwān, thinking that he might lay hands on the boats that had been sent there. On hearing of this, the Khān-Khānān sent Khwāja Muqīm Bakhshī, Dhāru Bahā­dur K., Muḥammad K. Niyāzī, Daulat K. Lodī, S'aīd K. Kararānī, and some able men, to that quarter and followed them in person. At the time when the men in the boats were disconcerted, the troops sent arrived and remedied matters. Many thought that they should strengthen Lukhī (Lukh means pass in Bilūchī) and wait for reinforce­ments. At the words of brave men they prepared for battle. The army was drawn up. In the centre were Muḥammad K. Niyāzī, Bahādur K. Qūrdār, Sher K., Kalān K., Daulat K. Lodī, S'aīd K. Kararānī, Khwāja Muqīm Bakhshī. In the right wing were Mīr Māṣūm Bhak­karī, and a number of brave men. On the left wing were Saiyid Bahau-d-dīn and other brave men. In the vanguard were Bakhti­yār Beg, Qarā Beg, Shamsher 'Arab, Ibrāhim Beg, Jūlak Beg, Mur­shid Qulī, Shāh Qulī Turkamān. They bravely, and under the guid­ance of fortune, passed Lukhī and encamped six kos from the enemy. On the 21st (Farwardīn) they advanced four kos with the intention 609 of giving battle. Before the battle began they were rejoiced by the news* of victory. For some days the wind had been blowing from the other side. At this time it blew from this (the imperial) side and gave the news of victory. The battle soon began. First, the enemy's van under the command of Khusrū prevailed over the force opposed to it and also scattered the right wing. Shamsher 'Arab fought bravely in the vanguard; his friends carried him off wounded. Dhārū and others displayed courage. He was wounded in the forehead with a spear and fell from his horse. Soon he played away the coin of life. The enemy's right wing under the command of Malik Muḥammad drove off their opponents, and a number pushed aside Nāhar K. and came as far as the camp, and proceeded to plunder. Saiyid Bahāu-d-dīn fell upon the enemy's van which was existing in its success. He placed a stream between him and them (?) and stood to fight. On account of the wind and dust they could not see one another. In that place of commotion the imperial centre encountered the enemy's right wing, and after a severe contest defeated it. But on account of the darkness the brave men of this force got separated. Bahādur K., Daulat K. and some others stood firm on the battlefield, and were a spectacle (?). Suddenly Muḥam­mad K. Niyāzī, Saiyid Bahāu-d-dīn, Mīr M'aṣūm Bhakkarī, and Khwāja Mūqīm joined them, and there was a great contest. Simi­larly the enemy got scattered and did not know where the others were. M. Jānī was on the battlefield with 400 men and in a con­fused state. The victorious army went quickly there. The Mīrzā, thinking that the centre was now coming, became still more con­fused. Meanwhile an elephant from that (the enemy's) side became furious and disorganised his own men. There was a slight contest, and the enemy, owing to the Divine aid, took to flight. 300 were killed, and 100 of the victorious troops. Though the Mīrzā turned several times and fought, but of what avail was it to struggle against daily-increasing fortune, although the enemy was more than 5000 and the victorious troops only 1200? Victory declared itself, and the wondrous working of celestial aid was impressed on all. The commander was at a distance and there was no great officer there, and there was much confusion in the beginning of the battle! Dil­pat had a choice force, but from cowardice he did not come forward. During this rejoicing, news came of the plundering of the camp. Some active men went quickly there, and the plunderers threw down their booty and fled. The camp became peaceful. On hearing of this good news, the Khān-Khānān proceeded to the fort which M. Jānī had made for his protection, and destroyed it.*

On 22 Farwardīn the world's lord embarked on a boat and pro­ceeded to the garden of M. Kāmrān. He enjoyed the spectacle of the spring. Next morning a happy-starred daughter was born in the harem of the Prince-Royal by the sister* of Abiyā Kashmīrī. At this time news came that Qaresh Sulan* had died in Ḥājīpūr 610 of diarrhœa. The graciousness of the Shāhinshah removed the survivors from the dark days of sorrow. On the 25th the writer of the book of fortune was exalted to a manṣab of 2000. He was raised to this high dignity without having performed any distinguished service. I hope that I may return some thanks by the tongue of action, and that the appreciativeness of my lord may become mani­fest. On the 29th the lunar weighing took place, and far and near obtained their desires.