As H.M.'s holy design was to pacify that country and to cherish the old* proprietors, he on 19th Shahrīyār, 31st August 1589, crossed over by the bridge which had been constructed below Attock. He marched 28* bambus and halted near the Sarai of Khairābād. The elephant establishment, the park of Artillery, and the great camp were left in Attock. Those who were wearied with the journey, and those who loved the shade, and their homes, expected that after such troublesome journies H.M. would not go to Kabul, and that his only design was to hunt and recreate himself on the bank of the Indus. On this day Shahbāz K. obtained leave to go to Swād. After three (days) halts he marched 3 kos, 25 bambus and halted near Elias-garha. News came that Ḥusain Paklīwāl had fled. When the imperial officers made some representations about the large revenues of that territory (Paklī), the clown fell into evil thoughts and went off to his home on the same day that the royal standards crossed the Indus. On this account H.M. on the 23rd made over Paklī and its neigh­bourhood to Ḥusain Beg S. Ū ṃarī as his fief and sent him off there. By the might of fortune he prevailed over it, and that land-owner received his chastisement. On the 27th when the camp was near Gorkhatra, Shāh Beg came from Swād, and on the way had the bliss of having an audience. At his request H.M. visited Begrām which was in his fief. An order was given to the writer that he should go there, and give presents to the hermits. Thousands of needy persons 566 received their portions, and the treasure-house of prayers was filled. On 1st Mihr, 11th September, he traversed the Khaibar and halted at Daka. Qāsim had so improved the road, which camels and horses used to traverse with difficulty, that carts passed through easily. On the 4th Karam Ullah came from Mālwa, and did homage near Khwāja Yāqūt Sarai. At the stage of Safed Sang the idea of travelling rapidly presented itself. As the time of the autumnal* colouring of Kabul was approaching, he left the great camp under the charge of Prince Murād, to come on slowly, and at the close* of the 8th, he urged on his steed. At midday he rested near Bārīk Āb. On the way Ḥakīm Ḥamām came from Turān, and prostrated himself. In compassion for him H.M. said with his pearl-dropping tongue: “One brother has gone from the world for you, and for us, ten.”


From the point of eyesight one person is less,
From the point of wisdom, more than thousands.

When his heart had been consoled by the Shāhinshāh's help, the Ḥakīm conveyed the praise and supplications of the ruler of Turān. He (Abdullah)* represented that the taking of Herat and the con­quest of Khurasan were due to the blessed influence of his devotion to the world's lord. He was sending Aḥmad 'Alī Atālīq, who was one of his confidants, with gifts and compliments. He and Mīr Ṣadr Jahān were following. On this day the villagers came in crowds to perform the kornish and gained their wish. When half the night had passed, he renewed his journey, and on the 10th* he illuminated Kabul by his advent. On the whole way, Turks and Tājīks came forward on both sides with presents and offerings. On this day too Mīr Ṣadr Jahān paid his respects. From Attock-Benares to Kabul is 92 3/4 kos, 41 poles, and they were traversed in 21 days and 18 marches. He took up his quarters in the citadel and enjoyed the gardens and the plain. He proclaimed benevolence to great and small, and every day, while he was in the city, a crowd partook of his bounty. On the 15th Prince Murād arrived with the family and household. At the end of the day he came down from the citadel and halted at the hall which had been erected near the Safed Sang. At dawn, as it was a feast day, he indulged in some splendour, and there was a daily market of giving. Aḥmad 'Alī Atālīq had an audience, and presented the letter and the choice products of his country. Ḥakīm Ḥamām represented that on 16th Āẕar of the previous year a wonderful thing had happened in Turān. Up to the end of the evening there were such death-cries of birds that even the loveless hearts of hunters were pained. At dawn there were seen in every field near Bukhāra, ducks, swans, geese, 567 storks, etc, lying dead or wounded or with broken breasts and scattered feathers. Likewise on the banks of Lake Kūrāk many thousand animals were lying dead, and persons who came from the Oxus and its neighbourhood made similar reports. Crowds of men with carts, camels and horses, carried off loads of them to their houses, and for six months ate their flesh, and supplied lamps with their fat. The Turānīān ambassador represented that 'Abdullah K. had assembled able men and made enquiries. As there was no ice or snow, they were unable to give any explanation. Some said it appeared that an army of owls must have passed by. Others suggested that it was a hunting animal called a Ṣadāīq.* It was not improbable that such destruction of life had been caused by it. It had no equal among birds for strength. They also mentioned that one of the birds was wearied out with flying and was panting. A chief hunts­man went up to it and bound it with a cuirass (bandizarah). When the bird had rested, it removed the bands and flew off, and dis­appeared from sight. After a while the cuirass fell to the ground on the plain.

On the 17th H.M. went to the Jahān Ārā garden, and he also had some sport in hunting. Next day, at dawn, he went to see the houses of the Aimāqs. Every one of them was gratified with money and goods.

On the 21st he marched from the Safed Sang plain, and halted at Khwāja Ḥasan's garden, which was distinguished for space and delightsomeness. M. Sanjar, M. Bāshī, Shādmān, and other Hazāra leaders, who seldom came to the city, visited the court and by the favours conferred on them emerged from their shyness.

One of the occurrences was the giving leave to Rajah Todar Mal to betake himself to the fields of freedom, and then his being recalled. On this day a petition came from him to the effect that old age and sickness had prevailed over him, and that apparently he was near his end. He prayed for permission to resign in order that he might go to the bank of the Ganges, and spend his last breaths in remembering God. H. M. in accordance with his request sent an order and expressed the hope that his spirit might obtain relief by this means. Afterwards admonitions were sent to the effect that no worship of God was equal to the soothing of the oppressed, and that it would be better for him to give up his idea (of retirement) and to spend his last breath in serving man, and to make that the provision for his final journey. On the 25th Qāẕī 'Abdu-s-Sammī' came from Lahore and paid his respects. On 2nd Ābān H.M. was weighed against twelve articles, and small and great obtained their desires. Next day he went to the Shāhr-ārā garden and from there he went to the cemetery (guẕargāh) and visited the tomb of Firdūs Makānī. He also grieved over the tombs of M. Hindāl and M. Ḥakīm who sleep near at hand. He 568 ordered Qāsim K. to make a beautiful garden there. He rejoiced the inhabitants of that place by many gifts. On the 9th he enjoyed the variegated hues of autumn at Māmā Khātūn and spent some time in enjoyment at the garden of Khwājagī Muḥammad Ḥusain. At night he reposed in the quarters of Khwāja Ḥasan. Next day he enjoyed hare* hunting, and then returned.

One occurrence was the arrival of Miriām Makānī. As her desire to behold H.M. made her uneasy, she set off for Kashmīr, and Gulbadan Begam and many other ladies accompanied her. Hearing that H.M. had gone to Kabul, they followed him there. In accordance with his excellent rule, he first sent Prince Daniel and some officers (to meet her) and afterwards Prince Murād, and finally the Prince Royal Sultan Salīm.

On the 13th he himself received her near Begrām (the Kabul Begrām), and on the same day conveyed them to special quarters. There was a choice feast.

One of the occurrences was the expedition of Burhān-ul-Mulk to the Deccan and his returning unsuccessful. When the Shāhin­shāh's order reached Khān Ā'im M. Koka, he prepared to accom­pany Burhān with a chosen army. As the latter had evil thoughts in his head he declined this. He said that the Deccanīs would not join him on account of his having a large force, and that the presence of an army would make an easy matter difficult. Accordingly, he only took with him Caghatāī K., Canda K., and a few others with 1000 horse and 300 musketeers. He came to Birār by the route of Kālī Bhīt. He left Elichpūr on right and hastened on to Dānāpūr. Jahāngīr K. thānadār and some others came to him with fawning words, but their companions did not do so, and gave battle. There was a slight engagement. Suddenly, a bullet reached Caghatāī K. and he was killed. Canda was wounded and made prisoner. Bur­hān received the retribution of his evil thoughts, and returned unsuccessful to Mālwa.

One occurrence was the birth* of Sultan Parvīz. On 19th Ābān after 9 1/2 hours he was born in the apartment of Prince Selīm by the daughter of Khwāja Ḥasan, the paternal uncle of Zain Kokal­tāsh. There was great rejoicing.


569 The world's lord gave the above name to this bright star. It is hoped that he will live and be exalted by being cherished by the Shahīnshah.

On the 25th Mullā ālib-Mihtar Yārī and M. Beg came back from Tibet and had an audience. They brought an envoy (wakhshūr) from there together with presents.