At this auspicious time, the drum of the New Year rejoiced the age. The ever-vernal heart of the Shāhinshāh celebrated the event by a feast.


On Sunday 22 Rabī-ul-akhir 996, 10 or 11 March, 1588, after the passing of 10 hours and 48 minutes, the spiritual and temporal Light-giver glorified the Sign of Aries. There was a new feast every day up to the day of culmination. In the beginning of this glorious year the marriage of Prince Sultān Daniel was celebrated. As marriage is a means of cultivating the garden of creation, and is the adornment of the social world, especially in a ruling family, H. M. arranged that an union should take place between the prince and the chaste daughter of Sultān Khwāja. An august feast was prepared, and crowds of men became possessed of joy. On 20 Khur­dād, 30 May, 1588, the ceremony took place in the house of Mirīam-Makānī.


Also on this day, the lunar weighment of H. M. took place, and mankind rejoiced.

One occurrence was the sending of troops to assist Ṣādiq K. When Zain K. took on himself the affairs of the plain of Swād, Ṣādiq was sent to Tīrāh. Shāham K. Jalair, Burhāna-l-Mulk, Khwājā 529 Faizī and others were sent off to join him. Also, an order was given that throughout the empire only the gaz Ilāhī* should be used. Some account of this has been given in the concluding volume (the Ayīn volume).

One occurrence was the birth of Sultan Rustam. On 4 Shahrī­yūr (August), after the lapse of 7 hours, a son was born to Sultan Murād by the daughter of the Khān Ā'im. H.M. named him, and there were thanksgivings.


According to both Greek and Hindu calculations, the horoscope was in Scorpio, but the degrees differed. I have not time to explain the (two) horoscopes, but I may say that this difference of degrees may have the purpose of checking too great joy or sorrow, and of preventing the breaking of the thread of circum­spection.*

One of the occurrences was the arrival at court of Shahbāz K. When S'aīd K. went from Bihar to Bengal, he came to court, and arrived on 2 Mīhr. He was not admitted to pay his respects and was censured. But when īt appeared that when he was sent (to Bengal) an order had been given that whenever his mind was at ease about the country, he might come and do homage, he was granted an audience, and received royal favours. Rajah Todar Mal had some dispute with him. An order was given that the Khān Khānān, 'Aẓdu-d-daula, Ḥakīm Abul-fatḥ, and the author should enquire into the matter. On their doing so, it appeared that self-interest had thrown a veil over the eyes of both of them. By proper mea­sures, the dust of contention was laid.

On the 19th H. M. went hunting, and in nine days careered about from Pancgrāmī* to Qasūr.* On the 27th, when he was to come to the city, an injury happened to him near Cakgopāl, 7 kos from Lahore, but it turned out well. He shot a wolf and it appeared to be dead. H. M. was examining it, when suddenly it seized his right foot, and his teeth penetrated. But H. M. struck him such a blow with his other foot that the wolf gave up his life. A little damage was done, but he soon recovered. On 1 Ābān the solar weighment took place. According to the annual custom he was weighed against twelve articles. There was a time of rejoicing, and the needy obtained their desires.

One1* of the occurrences was the subsiding of the commotion in Gujarat. Pan-Cānan* and Jaisa, brother's sons of Khangār, stirred up commotion in concert with Mihrāwan, the uncle of the Jām and Moaffar Arghūn, and invested the town of Rādhanpūr. Rādhan K. Balūch and other brave men took steps to defend the place. Twice they made a night attack, and they also came out in the day-time, and fought strenuously. Saiyid Qāsim and other heroes were active in assistance. Soon it was bruited abroad that Moaffar Gujarātī and the Kāīthāns* (from Kāthīāwār) had risen. Khwājā Niām-ud-dīn Aḥmad Bakhshī, Khwāja Rafī', M'aaṣūm Bhakkarī and others fol­lowed them. Naurang K. hastened to Bīrāmgānw, where the rebels were. Qulīj K. stood firm in Aḥmadabad with a few men. By the divine aid, when the first army arrived within ten kos, the rebels dispersed. When the second force joined, they left their baggage and proceeded rapidly. They crossed the Runn, and plundered the homes of the rebels in the town of Kātārīh.* A great amount of booty was obtained. Bahamāra (?)* the ruler of that country sub­mitted. The officers accepted his submission and proceeded to the town of Māliya. They crossed the dreadful Runn in another place. A remarkable thing is that the Runn increases (in water) on the 13th to the 15th (of the month), but by H. M.'s good fortune the water did not rise, and the troops crossed with ease. Though the rebels were not caught, yet the country was plundered, and a large quantity of booty was obtaiṇed. From there they went to Morbī, and on the way much of the cultivated land was plundered, and strong stock­ades (sangarhā) were taken. When the victorious troops came near Morbī the proprietors came out and surrendered. Wazīr K. had in his time given the place to Khangār, and the Khān-Khānān left him in possession.

One occurrence was the death of Baharjī. His territory is a cultivated country, and a dependency of Gujarat. Its name is Bag­lāna,* and the ruler is called Baharjī. His brothers wickedly made a commotion, and he took refuge in the strong fort of Mūler. As he had bound the burden of service on the shoulder of loyalty, Āltūn* Qulīj, Khwājah Rafī' and others went to help him. Before they arrived, he had been got rid of by enemies in the disguise of friends. The wiles of the evil-doers misled the relieving force and retribution was not exacted, though it was prepared (?). 531

One of the occurrences was the subsiding of the commotion in Gujarāt.* Fatḥ K., the younger son of Amīn K. Ghorī, made war on his father, and thereby disgraced his family. Moaffar also joined with him and stirred up the dust of strife. Amīn K. did not see in himself the power to control, and so retired. He wrote a supplicating letter to the imperial servants and asked for help. Naurang K., Khwāja Niām-ud-dīn Aḥmad, Medinī Rai, M'aaṣūm Bhakkarī, Qāẓī Ḥusaīn, Kāmrān Beg, Daulat K. and some of the Sai­yids of Bārha hastened to assist him. Moaffar retired to the hills, thinking that perhaps the country would be taken from him, and the son became reconciled to the father. Sīdhī Rīḥān, Lokhan, Karhal and many others waited on the officers.

At the request of Amīn K. and the Jām, Medinī Rai went and brought the sons of them both. All at once the disturbance ceased. Also at this time Ism'aīl Qulī was sent to Gujarat, and an order was given that Qulīj should return to court.

An occurrence was the dispersal of the Tārīkīs. It has been mentioned that Ṣādiq had been appointed to overthrow them in Tīrāh. Shāham and others had been appointed afterwards. When the army had been collected, he went to the spot. He did not think it advisable to enter the defiles, but appointed men to watch on every side. Shāh Beg built a fort in the village of Bāra (S. W. Peshāwar); Aḥmad Beg and Muḥ Qulī remained on guard in Maīdan (W. Tīrāh). Shāham Jalāīr, Alī Muḥ. Alif and others served in Janakī (?).* In this manner able men were appointed in various places. The warriors opened the hand of attack, and thus remedied the scarcity of provisions. Ṣādiq K. opened the tongue of conciliation, and the hand of liberality, and he made the Afrīdi and Ūrakzai tribes—which are the homes of the Tārīkīs—obedient. The spring crops of the landowners came into the hands of the soldiery, and they could not sow the autumn crops. Mullā Ibrāhīm, whose son Jalāla reckoned himself to be, was caught. The position of the wretch became difficult, and he had no longer confidence in his comrades. Every day he went about with his family (qabīla) and fell into a hundred troubles. At last he went off to Tūrān by the route of Kānīgaram (S.-W. Bannū). On 24 Mihr (about 4th October, 1588) the Afghans delivered up his family, and the minds of the imperial servants were somewhat quieted. The Afrīdis and the Urakzai in addition to doing good service gave hostages and undertook the preserving of peace in the Khaībar. The army enjoyed itself and returned.