H.M. spent three months and twelve days pleasantly in Attock-Benares. Though he spent some time in hunting, some time in the blacksmith's shop in looking after gun-making, and some time in practising with a gun in the daulatkhāna (royal precincts?), and also night and day transacted political and financial business, yet his real design was to spend some time on the banks of the Indus in order to punish the Yūsufza'ī, and thereafter to proceed into Zābulistān (Afghānistān). But, on account of the dismay of the Tūrā­nians, the entreaty of the ambassador from that country, and the dearness of provisions, he determined to turn back. On the 24th* (Farwardīn), after the lapse of one watch of the night, he proceeded towards India, and thereby heaped happiness on abundance of men. On 15 Ardībihisht (24 April 1586), he crossed the Jhelam by a bridge, and halted for a time. On this day the paternal aunts* of M. Shāhrukh, and the latter's middle son Shāh Muḥ. Mīrzā, and some Kābulis waited on him. At the time when the royal standards were on the banks of the Indus, those chaste and secluded ladies had petitioned to the effect that they had a keen desire to kiss his threshold. Their weariness and weakness had deprived them of this bliss. Khānzāda Khānim came with the Mīrzās to Kabul, and, from a desire to pay her respects, she set off for India. She joined in with M. Shāhrukh, and then there happened what has 492 already been mentioned. She was helpless and had to stay in Gardez, where she was rejoicing in the company of the Mīrzā's son. Begam Sulṭān had accompanied M. Sulaīmān to the Ḥijāz and in Persia. On account of her marriage she stayed some time in Qanda­hār. When she got an opportunity, she came to Kābul. When this was known, H.M. sent Ulugh Beg Kābulī, and an order was issued that Khwāja Shamsud-dīn should provide the equipment and send them off. At this stage (the Jhelam) they had the bliss of doing homage. Ḥaīdar Ālī, Shādmān Hazāra, and Nar Beg, who, on account of their evil conduct, had not come before, brightened their foreheads by doing homage, and were exalted by princely favours.

One of the occurrences was Rāja Bhagwant Dās's becoming mad. When he took leave to go to Kābul, he crossed the Indus, and put up in the serại of Khairābād. For some days he looked after military matters. Suddenly, his intellect grew darkened, and he became very giddy. They were compelled to bring him back to Attock, and to place him under care. A physician named Sāmān was feeling his pulse, when suddenly he drew his dagger and wounded himself. On hearing this, H.M. sent Ḥakīm* Ḥasan and Mahādev along with Khangār and Daulat K. in order that the Rāja's friends might employ whichever of the four they preferred. They chose Mahādev, and after a long time he got better.

One of the occurrences was the sending of Kunwar Mān Singh to Qābulistān. When Rāja Bhagwān Dās fell ill, Ismā'īl Qulī was sent in his room. He, from inexperience and selfishness (garm­bāzārī), formed crude wishes, and indulged in idle thoughts. He fell out of favour, and an order was given that he should be put on board a boat and shipped off, viâ Bhakar, to the Ḥijāz. He awoke somewhat from his somnolence, and had recourse to supplications. Though his apologies were accepted, he was removed from his post and ordered to chastise the Yūsufza'ī. Mādhū Singh, Sa'īd K. Gakhar, Abul-Qāsim Tamkīn and the servants of Rāja Bhagwant Dās were nominated to assist him. Kunwar Mān Singh and another force were sent to Kābul.

One of the occurrences was the death of 'Arab Bahādur. He chose a residence in the hill country of Bahrā'ich to the north of Dugāon* and near a black mountain. By the help of evil-minded Zamīndārs he established a fort there, and used to go about plun­dering, and then take refuge there. One day he had gone off rapidly. Kharak Rāi, a landholder, sent his son Dūla Rāi to attack the fort, and he took with him some followers of Ḥakīm Abul fatḥ who were in that neighbourhood. They marched 25 kos and reached the fort. The garrison thought it was 'Arab, and did not take 493 measures to defend the place. By their activity they got possession of it, and having seized the choice goods there, they set out on their return 'Arab heard of this and lay in ambush for them. Dūla had sent off the goods, and had halted to eat. Suddenly, 'Arab attacked the baggage, and the men abandoned it and fled. Dūla and some brave men came up, and defeated 'Arab. Many were killed and some were made prisoners, and some ran away. That turbulent fellow ('Arab) and some others got into a side-path,* and Dūla, on hearing of this pursued them, and put an end to 'Arab.

On the eve of the 16th the daughter of Rāja Bhagwant Dās gave birth to a daughter* in the house of Prince Sulṭān Salīm, and there were various rejoicings. The horoscope according to the Greek method gave 18 degrees of Sagittarius and according to Hindū calculation it was 1 degree 41 minutes. The enlightened sovereign called her Sulṭān Khirad and, contrary to the usage of contemporaries, he had an assemblage to render thanksgivings. There was a great feast in the house of Maryam Makānī, and there was a presen­tation of gifts, and there was largesse.

Also, at this time Mīrzā Shāhrukh and some heroes were sent to conquer Kashmīr, as the Kashmīrīans had cast aside the peace, and their deceit was manifest. The Mīrzā was appointed to punish the promise-breakers. As it appeared that the Mīrzā's heart was not in the work, and that the thoughts of love for his native land did not leave him in his natural state, he was relieved from the task, and attention was given to the appointment of some one else.

When the mind of H.M. was somewhat relieved from affairs, he ordered a march from the banks of the Jhelam. On 5 Khurdād he crossed the Cīnāb at the “Shop-keeper's” Ferry near Kanjā by a bridge.